College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- English Graduate Programs
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Counselor Education
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- MFA in Studio Art
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Master of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MFA in Design Thinking
- M.S. in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)
The Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) program at Radford University Carilion is designed to prepare registered nurses with graduate-level academic knowledge and clinical skills to practice as advanced practice registered nurses in the roles of clinicians, educators, leaders and scholars. Family Nurse Practitioners diagnose and treat acute and chronic conditions, collaborate with interdisciplinary team members, and partner with patients on maintaining health and wellness in primary care, with a particular focus on preventative care. The FNPs provide comprehensive, cost-effective, and population-based care across the lifespan similar to those of physicians.
Given the tremendous need for well-qualified nurses throughout the U.S., the Federal Government and many employers offer loan-forgiveness programs that help licensed nurses who chose to practice in high-need areas repay the student loans they incur during their education:
- The NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program, for example, is a unique program geared toward nurses who work in underserved communities at Critical Shortage Facilities.
- Registered nurses who work at least 32 hours a week at a qualified facility can have 60% of their student loans paid in two years of employment.
- The Perkins Loan, The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program, as well as loan-forgiveness programs offered by individual States also provide tremendous opportunities to support to practicing nurses.
Why choose Radford University Carilion?
As a FNP student you will progress through the program with a small cohort of classmates and mentoring from dedicated faculty and staff. A dedicated FNP clinical coordinator assists students with clinical placement.
We provide our students with opportunities to interact and learn beside a broad range of healthcare providers, so they’re prepared to collaborate across specialties from the start of their careers.
Research and Adaptation
Moving to the next level of nursing practice in your career, we seek to provide opportunities to allow you to continue to learn about medical and scientific advances and research through advanced skills workshops, skills assessments and precepted clinical experiences.
The FNP program at Radford University Carilion is designed for registered nurses as it builds on the knowledge and experience they already have to advance to the next level of patient care. The program consists of 50 credit hours of coursework and 605 clinical hours distributed over eight consecutive semesters, on a part-time basis. The program is delivered using a hybrid of online and on-campus coursework. Students participate in 2-3 “On-Campus Intensives” to develop hands-on skills through advanced workshops and skills assessments. For students outside of locality, a clinical associate coordinator will assist with clinical placement.
The FNP program at Radford University Carilion is designed specifically for working nurses who need the flexibility to complete the program while maintaining their current employment. The graduates are eligible for national certification exams through one of two certifying bodies- the American Nurses Credentialing Center (AACN) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
After receiving your Master’s degree as an FNP, you may return to your current employer or you may seek employment in one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy. Nurse Practitioners are recognized by the U.S. News and World report as the second best profession in the U.S.
Radford University Carilion students are employed at 96% and they find success across a wide range of practice settings, including:
- Outpatient clinics and care centers
- Physician offices
- Long-term care facilities
- Home healthcare services
- Employment services
- Rehabilitation centers
- Government agencies
- Social assistance agencies
- Educational institutions
- Research institutions
- Public health
- Industrial settings
- Occupational health
The Family Nurse Practitioner Program is housed at Radford University Carilion (RUC) in Roanoke, Virginia. One cohort is admitted annually, and accepted students begin the program in the fall. All coursework is completed online, with 2-3 on-campus intensives.
- November 15 for early admission, and March 1 for regular admission (pending seats available)
- Current unrestricted Registered Nursing Licensure in the state or territory in which your clinical practice will occur;
- An official transcript from each college or university attended;
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher (on a 4.00 scale) from a nationally accredited BSN or MSN nursing program;
- A college-level statistics course with a grade of "C" or better;
- Three recommendations from professional contacts who can address your potential for advanced nursing practice;
- Resume or curriculum vitae that includes prior education and professional practice;
- A personal essay (limited to two pages) describing your career goals and how a graduate degree will assist in meeting those goals;
- Official GRE score if GPA is below 3.00;
- A minimum of 2,000 documented hours of nursing practice in the three years preceding the beginning of the program’s clinical requirements;
- A personal interview at the request of the department.
Please contact Dr. Milena Staykova, FNP Program Coordinator, for more information.
Radford University Carilion is authorized by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) to offer postsecondary education in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Radford University Carilion is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award Associate, Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Radford University Carilion.
The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing and master's degree programs in nursing at Radford University Carilionare accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, (202)887-6791.