College of Graduate Studies and Research
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Graduate Teaching Fellowship Mentoring Program
- As part of the Graduate Program in English, you’ll take a wide range of courses in Scholarly Methods, English and American Literature, and Theory.
- Graduate Teaching Assistants learn the craft of teaching from seasoned professionals.
- Stipends and full tuition waivers are available.
- As a member of a teaching team, you’ll receive guidance and support from experienced and engaging teachers. Mentors, GTAs, and GTFs help each other to succeed in the classroom.
- Join a community of teachers, exchange ideas, share your experiences, and work directly with students.
- In your second year in the classroom, you’ll take charge of your own class and receive guidance from a faculty mentor and teaching team.
- Graduate Teaching Fellows design classroom activities, create grading criteria, and evaluate student progress, while developing their own philosophy of teaching.
- Applicants should contact Amanda Kellogg, Ph.D., Graduate Program Director, or Frank Napolitano, Ph.D., GTF Program Coordinator.
The admisisons requirements page includes information on applying to the Graduate Teaching Fellowship Mentoring Program.
- In-state first-year Graduate Teaching Assistants receive a full tuition waiver for 9 graduate credit hours (the typical course load) each semester and a $10,000 stipend per year.
- In-state second-year GTFs receive a full tuition waiver for 9 graduate credit hours (the typical course load) each semester and an $11,000 stipend per year.
- The program offers a limited number of full tuition waivers and stipends for out-of-state students.
GTFs in the News
We are happy to announce that GTF Emily Deacon has accepted a position in Spotsylvania County Public Schools as a Dual Enrollment English Teacher, working with both Courtland High School and Chancellor High School. We're so proud of Emily, and we know that her students will benefit greatly from working with her.