College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- MFA in Design Thinking
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- Physician Assistant
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- Master of Social Work
- English Graduate Programs
- MFA in Studio Art
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Counselor Education
- Master's of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
Curriculum & Instruction, with Licensure
Do you already have a bachelor's degree in some other field, but believe that you would like to now get a teaching license? Our master’s plus licensure program is ideal for you!
Our program allows you to get licensure plus a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction in as little as 18 months (depending on licensure area and previous coursework).
Note: Our program is a hybrid of our M.S. in Education, Curriculum and Instruction program with our undergraduate licensure programs. This means that you will be taking some graduate courses just for the master’s degree, some graduate courses for licensure (those that are the equivalent of undergraduate level licensure courses), as well as licensure courses at the undergraduate level (part of our state-approved licensure programs).
All the licensures below involve taking (or taken in previous or undergraduate coursework) "content area courses." This is the specific background in certain subject areas.
ELEMENTARY EDUCATION PREK-6 & MIDDLE EDUCATION GRADES 6-8
You must choose two of the following content areas for licensure:
- Social Studies
SECONDARY EDUCATION (6-12)
You must choose one of the following content areas for licensure:
- Earth and Space Science
- Social Studies
Similar to the curriculum and instruction (no licensure) route, you will have some element of choice over courses you take. Although, many of the choices will be made for you due to also seeking licensure, which requires certain specific courses.
Just like the curriculum and instruction (no licensure) route, to earn the degree, you must also pass comprehensive written and oral examinations. You will have a choice of the following for the written portion:
- Written exam
- Scholarly research
|Is my application complete?|
Application will be reviewed for an admissions decision.
|Were you accepted?|
Your transcript will be reviewed by the Certification Officer to determine courses needed for Virginia Licensure.
Schedule a meeting with the MS in Education Coordinator to determine your options and/or next steps.
The MS in Education Coordinator will schedule a meeting to plan your course schedule and program of study before your first semester begins.
Schedule a meeting with your faculty advisor during your first semester of course work.
Identify missing elements and submit them.