College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Teacher Education & Leadership
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- MS in Data And Information Management
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- English Graduate Programs
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Master of Social Work
- Counselor Education
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- MFA in Design Thinking
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSc)
- Psychology Graduate Programs
- M.S. in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Nursing
- MFA in Studio Art
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
Fall 2023 Online Cohort
Earn your M.S. in Literacy Education Online with Radford University!
Our students, teachers and schools need knowledgeable, strategic and collaborative literacy leaders to serve as Reading Specialists and Literacy Coaches.
Are you ready to begin your journey with Radford University to earn your Reading Specialist credentials online?
About the Online Literacy Education Program
- For the Reading Specialist endorsement, Virginia requires three years of teaching in accredited public or private school setting, a graduate degree in the field of education, specific literacy-related course competencies, and a passing score on the Praxis exam for Reading Specialists (Praxis 5302). The online Literacy Education program provides the degree, course competencies and exam requirements necessary for endorsement as a Reading Specialist in Virginia. *For teachers who already have a graduate degree, Radford University provides a path to endorsement through the Reading Specialist certificate as well.
- Our program is aligned with state and national standards and offers the highest quality of literacy education and reading specialist preparation. It is the same curriculum provided on the main Radford University campus, but in an online setting.
- Program faculty spend time on a regular basis in various school settings and are aware of the demanding schedules educators adhere to each day. Online courses are designed to meet the needs of busy educators, with courses taking place in synchronous, asynchronous and hybrid online formats. Synchronous courses meet once each week from 5-8pm. Assignments are practical and designed to apply teachers’ knowledge in a real-world setting.
- This program consists of 10 courses and 33 credit hours of course work. Classes are completed using a cohort model, with courses taken in a specific sequence and in lockstep with your cohort colleagues – allowing you to build valuable relationships, connections, and community as you pursue your educational path forward.
- The program lasts for six semesters, when enrolled in courses part-time during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Summer, Fall and Spring semesters include two courses.
- Radford University offers a reduced tuition rate for Virginia Educators. Federal TEACH grant funds provide additional tuition assistance for educators who are pursuing the degree option and are eligible.
Ready to join the fall 2023 online cohort?
Sign Up to Learn More at one of our Information Sessions!
Zoom Information Session Dates and Session Registration Links are provided can be found here. Sign up for the date you plan to attend, and we’ll send you the Zoom link to participate.
Twenty admission slots are available for the Fall 2022 cohort. To be considered in our first round of application reviews, please apply by May 1, 2022. A second round of application reviews will be conducted in the summer, if space is available.
Contact Dr. Katie Hilden-Clouse to learn more about the program, kclouse@RADFORD.EDU.