College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- English Graduate Programs
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- MS in Data And Information Management
- Counselor Education
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- MFA in Studio Art
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Master of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MFA in Design Thinking
We are honored that you are considering applying to Radford University's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) and certificate programs. This page is a resource to guide you through the application process. Remember, our staff is here to assist you at any time and we are more than happy to help.
Not all online programs are available in all states. The graduate college will notify you when you apply.
Applications are now being accepted for the Fall 2021 session of the DNP Program.
- You apply directly through the Radford University College of Graduate Studies and Research. Please submit a completed College of Graduate Studies and Research online application and pay the appropriate application fee.
- Admission is competitive and enrollment is limited. Please apply as early as possible to allow for all necessary processing. There is open enrollment for Fall admission (apply no later than March 1).
- Provide three letters of reference. These letters of reference should be from professional contacts that address the applicant's potential for advanced practice nursing. Please make sure one reference letter is from an academic setting and can attest to the applicant's academic ability and potential for success in the chosen program of study.
- Provide three satisfactory recommendation forms. Note: these recommendation forms should be from the same three contacts used to provide letters of reference.
- Arrange to have official transcripts sent from all previous academic institutions since high school. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative BSN grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 in an undergraduate nursing major. For a post-master's program track, applicants must have a 3.5 GPA from a nationally-accredited graduate nursing program.
- Meet major course prerequisites, including undergraduate or graduate-level statistics and nursing research. These course need to have been successfully completed.
- Provide a professionally written essay describing your career goals and how a graduate credential will assist in meeting those goals. Ideally, the potential for practice in a rural area should be addressed. Specific instructions provided in application.
- Provide a paper demonstrating scholarly writing that is recent (within 5 years). Those students applying for the Post-Master's PMHNP Certificate Program are not required to submit writing samples. Additionally, a sample of previous academic writing or publication needs to be included with APA references.
- Provide a professional resume or curriculumn vitae that includes prior education and professional practice, documenting a minimum of 2,000 hours of clinical nursing practice as an RN or advanced clinical mursing practice with certification as an NP or CNS within the last three years.
- After the materials are received, additional information will be requested such as your licenses and certifications.
- Qualified applicants who meet admission requirements will be interviewed by the Graduate Admissions Committee. . For PMHNP Program applicants, there will be an interview, which includes the PMHNP Program Coordinator.