College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Master of Science in Nursing Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Doctor of Health Sciences
- English Graduate Programs
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Counselor Education
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Business Administration
- M.S. in Strategic Communication
- Teacher Education & Leadership
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Health Sciences Dual Degree Track (MS to DHSC)
- MFA in Studio Art
- Master of Occupational Therapy
- Master's Degrees in Music
- Master of Social Work
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MFA in Design Thinking
- M.S. in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD)
The Doctoral program in Health Sciences at Radford University Carilion is ideal for working professionals. The program is offered entirely online and can be completed in seven semesters; two classes per semester.
This program allows you to take your health sciences education to the next level in a flexible format and convenient environment.
Why choose Radford University Carilion?
100% Online Program
Online classes are engaging and use the latest technologies to allow the student to interact with the professor and classmates, with no residency requirement.
Though most students take a course load of 2 classes per semester (6 classes per year), a student may opt to slow down or speed up the program according to student needs.
The capstone project prepares the students for future high level evidence-based work at an academic institution or in the healthcare industry.
As a doctoral candidate, you may select a focus area:
- Healthcare Administration
- Community and Public Health
- Education and Academia
You will evaluate, synthesize, and apply an integrative approach to solving healthcare problems from public policy to community health assessment, and pursue a scholarly research agenda in an emphasis area that is suitable for dissemination to a peer-reviewed venue.
The wide range of career opportunities in healthcare make this program attractive for anyone seeking to pursue a terminal degree in health sciences.
Once you graduate, you will have the ability to use your degree in a variety of meaningful ways:
- Instructor/Professor in the healthcare industry or in higher education
- Health Services Management
- Clinic Management
- Public Health Education
- Health Research
Many of our graduates teach at the university level. Others hold high administrative positions at healthcare systems, physician practices or at healthcare nonprofits. Other options include work as a grant writer. These professionals create proposals seeking funding for a research project or other needs. Without a helpful, expert communicator, many stellar discoveries in oncology, pediatrics and cardiology may have been missed due to a lack of research funding.
The deadline for applications is January 30th.
Admission to the DHSc program is competitive. Radford University Carilion requires a master’s degree awarded by a regionally accredited institution in the field of healthcare, public health, education, management or other health-related discipline; a strong grade point average; a personal statement detailing how this program will enhance your academic and/or professional career goals; and a current resume/CV documenting professional experience and educational achievements. An online interview is also required for applicants to be considered for acceptance.
Four (4) years experience working and/or teaching as a(an):
- Professional clinician
- Public health practitioner
- Educator in a health-related field or healthcare administration
- Healthcare manager/administrator
and a master's level statistics course and/or master’s or doctoral level research methods course are strongly preferred.
- Tailored to the working professional, our doctoral program can be completed 100% online, with no residency requirement.
- The capstone, an intense scholarly project similar to a “mini-dissertation” is required of all students. This project prepares the student for future high level evidence-based work at an academic institution or in the healthcare industry.
- Online classes are engaging and use the latest technologies to allow the student to interact with the professor and classmates. These technologies give the student a feel for “being in the classroom” even though most courses are self-paced.
- Though most students take a course load of 2 classes per semester (6 classes per year), a student may opt to slow down or speed up the program according to student needs.
Radford University Carilion is authorized by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) to offer postsecondary education in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Radford University Carilion is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award Associate, Baccalaureate, Masters and Doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Radford University Carilion.
The DHSc degree is a 42 credit hour program which can be completed in as little as two years plus one semester. View the DHSc course details in the academic catalog.
For more details, pelase contact the program director F. Jeannine Everhart at email@example.com or 540-985-4046.