College of Graduate Studies and Research
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
Admission to our program is competitive and the department values diversity in its student population. Prospective students are selected for the program based on their ability to complete academic requirements of the program, personal qualifications necessary for success in the counseling profession and appropriateness of professional goals.
The admissions committee of the department will evaluate academic qualifications and potential for success in the program based on an admissions application portfolio. Admissions decisions are made based on an overall evaluation of all stated criteria. Failure to meet a minimum criterion in one area will not necessarily be cause for rejection of admission.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher;
- Official transcripts of all prior undergraduate and graduate work;
- A maximum of 9 credit hours may be transferred into the counselor education program with the exclusion of the following clinical courses: COED 611, COED 641, COED 642 and COED 690-COED 694;
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores are required;
- Three personal reference letters submitted to the Graduate College; and an
- Admissions essay, limited to three pages, including experiences, interests and other factors central to your decision to apply to the program and short- and long-term goals and career aspirations related to the program.
Applicant admissions portfolios are evaluated throughout the year, but matriculation as a student into the counselor education program is restricted to summer and fall terms only. Priority admission deadline is Feb. 15 for summer and fall admissions. The space-available admission deadline is April 15 for summer and fall admissions. Special consideration for late admissions will be considered on a case by case basis until July 15 for fall admissions.
An interview may be requested. Admission is competitive. Approximately 40 new students are admitted for fall matriculation each year. Begin the admissions process now!