Federal Parent PLUS Loans
Direct PLUS Loans enable parents with good credit histories borrow to pay the education expenses of each child who is a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half time.
For more information regarding the Parent PLUS Loan Program you can review the information provided on the Federal Student Aid website for Parent PLUS Loans.
For parents who wish to apply for a Parent PLUS loan you will need to make sure you have completed the following requirements:
- Complete the FAFSA
All parents who wish to apply for a Parent PLUS loan must have a completed FAFSA on file
- Complete a PLUS Loan application
Parents have the option to apply online or by submitting a paper form to our office for processing.
Apply online at www.studentloans.gov
Submit the Direct PLUS Loan Request Form
- Allow up to 7 business days for result information - The Department of Education will notify you regarding the outcome of your loan application.
- If your loan is approved complete the PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note
Here are some commonly asked questions about Federal Parent PLUS Loans -
- How much can I borrow?
Parents can borrow up to the student's financial aid cost of attendance for the academic year.
- How will I know the credit decision of my Parent PLUS Loan?
The Department of Education will contact you regarding the results of your PLUS Loan application. If you complete the PLUS Loan request online you may have the results within 24 hours.
- How many hours must my student be enrolled to receive the loan?
You must be enrolled at least half time to receive any PLUS loan funds, there are no exceptions.
- Does my student need to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress to receive a Parent PLUS Loan?
Yes. If your students is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress they are not eligible for us to certify a Parent PLUS Loan.
- When will my loan funds credit my student's account?
The financial aid office will credit your student account at the beginning of each semester. If you have completed all the loan requirements the loan funds will credit your student's account for the start of each semester.
- When will repayment begin on the loan?
The most accurate repayment information can be found in the Repayment section of the Federal Student Aid Website.