MLK Day of Service 2021
Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’”
Celebrated each year on the third Monday in January, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is the only federal holiday designated a National Day of Service.
On Monday, January 18, 2021, Radford University will observe its eighth annual MLK Day of Service by giving back to our communities in the New River Valley and Roanoke areas. Since we are still in the midst of a global pandemic, our service will look a little different this year. Instead of going into the community to volunteer in person, we are partnering with the Community Foundation of the New River Valley's GiveLocalNRV and we will be giving back through donations of money, food and supplies. Many spring food drives and fundraisers have been canceled due to the pandemic, and communities are in dire need. This provides us a great opportunity to give back and support.
You will be competing in teams to gather the most donations and raise the most money for your team’s designated community partners.
Day of Service Teams
- RUC & Waldron College of Health and Human Services – donations will benefit Friendship House and Ronald McDonald House.
- Davis College of Business and Economics & College of Education and Human Development – donations will benefit Radford Fairlawn Daily Bread and Women’s Resource Center.
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences & Artis College of Science and Technology – donations will benefit The Giving Tree and New River Community Action
- College of Visual and Performing Arts & College of Graduate Studies and Research – donations will benefit Bobcat Backpacks and Beans & Rice Programs.
- Team Highlander: Administration, staff & students with undeclared majors – donations will benefit New River Community Action.
Donations will be accepted through Wednesday, January 27.
Monetary donations can be made directly to your respective team name online at the Give Local NRV website.
On the Radford University main campus, donation boxes for each team will be located in their respective college buildings and all residence halls.
For Team Highlander, donation boxes will be located in Heth Hall, The Bonnie, Dedmon Center, Martin Hall, Walker Hall, Russell Hall and Young Hall.
At RUC, donation boxes will be located in the Highlander House.
If you would like a commemorative MLK Day of Service T-shirt, you must drop off your donations on MLK Day, Monday, January 18, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. T-shirts will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. On main campus, donations should be taken to the Center for Diversity and Inclusion (Heth Hall 157). Donation stations for each team will be set up throughout the office. At RUC, donations can be dropped off and T-shirts picked up at the Highlander House.
Last year yielded our largest participation numbers for the MLK Day of Service. While it is unfortunate that we cannot serve in the same way as in previous years, we can still make a huge impact. We look forward to partnering in support of our communities in need!
Donation Items Lists
Radford University Carilion & Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Friendship House Roanoke Inc.: money
- Ronald McDonald House: individual wrapped potato chips, cracker packs, pudding, Jell-o, cereal, bottled water and any other items that are individually wrapped for use in large lunch bags
Davis College of Business and Economics & College of Education and Human Development
- Radford Fairlawn Daily Bread: any non-perishable food items
- Radford Women’s Resource Center: money
College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences & Artis College of Science and Technology
- The Giving Tree: money
- New River Community Action: baby supplies including diapers, bottles, new or gently used books, blankets, canned/non-perishable food items
College of Visual and Performing Arts & College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Beans & Rice, Inc.: money
- Bobcat Backpack Program: canned fruit, canned veggies, peanut butter, Beanee Weenees, canned ravioli, popcorn, Chunky soup, Boxed Mac ’n’ Cheese, granola bars, oatmeal packets
Team Highlander: Administration, staff & students with undeclared majors
- New River Community Action): monetary donations and fruit cups, raisins, dried fruit, peanut butter crackers, fruit snack gummies, graham crackers, granola bars, pretzels, Wheat Thins, Chex cereal, Triscuits, Goldfish crackers (large box or individual size), Teddy Grahams, Multigrain Cheerios, applesauce cups