Artis College of Science and Technology
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Security
- REALISE Students
- Forensic Science Institute
- Biomedical Science
- Geospatial Science
- School of Computing and Information Sciences
- MS in Data And Information Management
Medical Laboratory Science
The Medical Laboratory Science Program at Radford University Carilion prepares students for a variety of career opportunities in medical, research, veterinary, and reference laboratories. Students enjoy a mix of classroom, laboratory, clinical, and field experiences.
Each year, billions of laboratory tests are ordered in the United States and medical laboratory scientists perform and interpret tests, make recommendations for appropriate treatment, and deliver quality data to ensure the best patient care. Medical laboratory scientists are responsible for operation and maintenance of state-of-the-art equipment; assuring quality and delivery of accurate test results and fulfilling a critical role in high-quality patient care.
This four-year degree program leads to a Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science and prepares students for the national certification exam administered by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
Students in the MLS program experience a blend of traditional lecture courses, laboratory classes, and clinical rotations to prepare them for employment in the medical laboratory field. While engaged in clinical rotations, students will be supervised by certified laboratory professionals and will achieve entry-level competency across each facet of the clinical laboratory. Successful graduates will:
- Master the foundational principles of clinical laboratory science and testing, including the pathological indications for performing specific laboratory tests
- Understand system planning, including quality control and method validation
- Assess a wide range of patient laboratory values and determine when values are abnormal or potentially erroneous
- Interpret and understand new protocols, technologies and advances in the field of medical laboratory science specifically and medical science generally
What makes this program different?
- The program has agreements with several accredited laboratories where you will complete your clinical rotations: Quest Diagnostics (located in Carilion Clinic facilities), HCA LewisGale, Sovah Health Martinsville, Sovah Health Danville, Centra Health, and Sentara Healthcare. You will have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, national leaders in all areas of healthcare practice and administration. You’ll do real patient work with 700 clinical hours in small groups with certified preceptors.
- Flexibility and stability in the workforce. Radford University Carilion MLS graduates are competent in all the disciplines within medical laboratory science, giving them greater flexibility in the workforce. In addition, Radford University Carilion MLS graduates are required to achieve competency in phlebotomy, a valuable skill that is not incorporated in all MLS curricula.
- Perfect Placement Rates for over ten years. All Medical Laboratory Science graduates have been employed in the field within six months of graduation. The Radford University Carilion Medical Laboratory Science Program’s three-year graduation rate is 95%.
- Certification examination pass rate is 81%.
After receiving your MLS degree, you will have the opportunity to begin your career in a wide range of healthcare settings, including:
- Hospitals (inpatient and outpatient)
- Physician offices
- Research laboratories
- Employment services
- Laboratory information systems
- Sales and marketing
- Government agencies
- Outpatient care centers
- Test development facilities
- Educational institutions
- Equipment testing, maintenance, and development
- Public health
Radford University Carilion graduates have a 100% job placement rate, and there are growing opportunities for medical laboratory science graduates nationally. It is estimated that the medical laboratory science field will need more than 50,000 new laboratorians by 2024. MLS faculty mentor students to help them identify the employment setting best suited for them and actively assist students with job searches and interview preparation.
This program is designed for students entering directly from high school or for students transferring from another college or university. It is an entry-level baccalaureate degree program and you will receive a Bachelor of Science degree upon successful completion of the program.
The Medical Laboratory Science program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119.