Current Student FAQ


Who is my academic advisor?

Returning Freshman and Sophomore business majors: 

All returning freshman and sophomore business majors will be advised by the Davis College of Business Advising Center until they have completed the pre-business program, which is normally completed by the end of your sophomore year (see below what classes need to be completed before you are assigned a faculty advisor). These students also need to set up an appointment with the Advising Center 6-8 weeks prior to registration for each term.

Junior and Senior business majors:

After the pre-business requirements are met, juniors and seniors are advised by a faculty advisor. 

Economics Majors:

Advising for B.S. Economics majors is conducted from the freshman year through graduation by faculty advisors in the Department of Economics. You should contact Teresa Chapman in the Economics department at 540-831-5100 for additional information or stop by BE 266 prior to registration.

To find your advisor's name: Check your Degree Audit, your advisor's name will be listed at the top of the page.

How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

  • Click “Advising Appointments (Starfish)” within the Academic icon in the MyRU Portal
  • Click “My Success Network” located on the left hand side of the main screen
  • Find your academic advisor and select “Schedule Appointment” (use your Degree Audit to find your advisor’s name)
  • At the top of the calendar, navigate to the "Week" view and use the arrows to scroll through the weeks to find availability (it will default to the current day)
  • Available appointments will have a green "+" sign. Find a date and time that will work for you and click the link "Sign Up"
  • Complete “Add Appointment” form and click "Submit"
  • You will be notified via email that you have been scheduled for an appointment

**If you are with a FACULTY advisor, they may not use Starfish. You can email them to schedule an appointment.

What should I bring to an advising session?

Academic advising is a shared responsibility.  Both the advisee and the advisor have responsibilities.  The better prepared you are for the advising session, the more information you will get to cover with your advisor.  Therefore, the advising session is as much your responsibility as it is the advisor.

Things to bring:

  • written list of questions
  •  notes from previous advising sessions
  • a printout of acceptable CORE courses
  • the latest version of your degree audit
  • copy of your progress sheet 

**IF you being advised by an advisor in Advising Center, you will be required to bring a completed Advising Syllabus when you come in for your appointment

I'm having trouble in one of my courses, what should I do?

The first thing you should do is approach the professor of the course. The professors here at Radford are wonderful about taking the time to get to know their students. Do not let a situation escalate to where it is out of control and beyond someone helping you. Make an appointment with the professor immediately to discuss the situation and try to develop a resolution. You will find that your professors want you to be successful and will offer advice and encouragement for your success. Your professor may give you some ideas on "how to study" for the course or refer you to the Harvey Knowledge Center (formerly the Learning Assistance Resource Center or LARC). They may also refer you to a tutor from that specific department, your academic advisor, or to form a study group. Your professor is your best resource when you are having difficulties in a course.

What happens if I receive a poor grade in a course?

The best thing you can do to prevent this from happening is to be extremely proactive. It is up to you! Talk to the professor, talk with your advisor, and use the services provided by the Harvey Knowledge Center (HKC). If you still end up receiving a poor grade, make an appointment with your advisor. Remember you do have options when you find that you are doing poorly in a course.  Two academic policies which may serve you well in this situation are the class withdrawal policy and the repeat policy.  See the undergraduate catalog for more information on these policies.  Then if you have questions or need assistance understanding the policies, talk to your academic advisor. You and your academic advisor can develop a plan of action based on your individual situation.


What catalog do I use?

Catalog year refers to which catalog you are following to meet graduation requirements. Radford University policy states a currently enrolled full-time student may meet the graduation requirements listed in the undergraduate catalog in effect at the time of the student's initial enrollment at Radford, or the individual may select to meet the requirements in any subsequent catalog published between enrollment and graduation, as long as the catalog is no more than five years old. A student may not follow requirements for graduation listed in a catalog in effect prior to the student's enrollment at Radford.

Students who have been absent from the university for two continuous semesters must meet the degree requirements in force in the Radford University Undergraduate Catalog at the time of readmission.

Most students select the year they enrolled at Radford University as their catalog year. Whichever catalog year is used, the student must follow all degree requirements listed in that catalog.

Can I take a course at a community college or another four-year school and transfer it back to Radford?

Definitely.  Remember:  It is always best to discuss taking any course at another institution with your academic advisor who can help you make appropriate plans based on your program and your progress in your program. We find that students tend to take courses that are going to be used to fulfill general education requirements rather than major requirements at other institutions and transfer them back to RU.  Many students take courses at their community college close to home during the summer to get ahead in their program or even to catch up if necessary. There may even be a few courses required for your major that are offered at a community college or other four-year institution close to your home that you could take during the summer.  You should always check with your advisor or the Advising Center before you select any courses to take so that we can confirm that it is an acceptable/appropriate course. Even though you can find a class at another institution, it may be that your advisor will recommend that you take the course at RU but then may help you to find another course you could take at home during the summer.

A list of acceptable courses offered by Virginia's community colleges can be found at the Office of the Registrar. You will need to complete a "Transfer Approval" form before taking any courses at another institution. This form, when processed through the Advising Center, will confirm that the course will transfer to RU and that it is an acceptable course for your program.

What grades do I need this semester to earn a certain GPA?

This is really something you should discuss with your advisor. You may also use a GPA calculator to help in this process.  Once you have keyed in the requested information, it will calculate a GPA based on that information. Remember the GPA calculator is only as accurate as the information you enter -- follow the directions carefully.

How do I change my major or minor?

The student needs to fill out the Declaration of Major/Minor Form which is located in any advising center or the registrar's office.  This form needs to be turned into the advising center in which you plan to change your major.


What is an incomplete ("I") grade?

At the faculty member's discretion, the letter "I" may be entered on the student's transcript for a course whenever some portion of the required work has not been completed by the end of the semester. A written statement of the requirements for removal of the grade "I" must be signed by the faculty member and student and filed in the office of the chairperson of the department in which the course is taught, with a copy submitted to the registrar along with the faculty member's grade sheet.  The grade of "I" will automatically revert to a grade of "F" if not satisfactorily removed by completing all coursework needed by the last day of classes of next semester (fall or spring) semester.

What is a Degree Audit?

The Degree Audit is located in your Student Information System under Degree Works, then select Process New/View to view your audit.  This audit will show what courses you have taken and will match it up with the program that you are pursuing.  It will show what has been completed and what needs to be completed for your program.  It also shows your Overall GPA, your In-Major GPA (may not be accurate depending on program) and your advisor.

What is a course withdrawal? University withdraw?

A student may withdraw from a course that they feel they are not doing well in and will receive a grade of "W".  This grade will show up on the transcript as "W".  The student will need to obtain a withdrawal form from any advising center or the registrar's office and fill out the information and get their academic advisor to sign the form and return it to the registrar's office prior to the withdrawal deadline to receive a "W".  The student is allotted five withdrawals for their whole academic career at Radford University.



Students withdrawing from all courses during a given semester must contact the advising coordinator in the college of their major to obtain and complete a “Withdrawal Check-Out Sheet.” Students who have not declared a major must contact the advising coordinator in the Pre-Major Advising Center. The academic advising coordinators’ offices are in the following locations: College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences, College Of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences 3301; College of Business and Economics, Kyle Hall 244; College of Education and Human Development, Peters Hall A104; College of Health and Human Services, Waldron Hall 351; College of Science and Technology, Stuart Hall 163; College of Visual and Performing Arts, Porterfield Hall 243; Pre-major Advising, Walker Hall 103.  (Graduate students must notify the Registrar's Office in writing or via email.  The process is complete once the Registrar's Office confirms the withdrawal.)  This process must be followed to ensure the student will receive any eligible refunds and the appropriate grades for the semester.

Students who withdraw from the university before the Census Date will receive no grades. Students who withdraw from the university after the Census Date but prior to the end of the 12th week of the semester (80 percent of the summer session) will receive “W’s” in all classes. Withdrawals from the university after the 12th week will result in automatic “F’s.”

Any student who withdraws from the university during a fall or spring semester must apply for readmission.


What are HOLDs on my account?

Students may have holds placed on their account by either not having paying a fine or bill, or not returning library books.  A hold on your account will prevent you from registering for classes and doing other important tasks. You can see if you have holds on your account by using the Student Information System and viewing Academics, then selecting Academic Status.  The holds will be listed in the bottom of the page.  It will only tell you which office placed the hold on your account, but will not state why.  You need to contact the specific office and see what needs to be done to remove that hold.  This could prevent you from graduating as well, so make sure you take care of it!

What are the different types of credit loads?

To be considered full-time you need to carry 12-18 credit hours.  If you drop below 12 hours, this categorizes you as part-time and this can affect your financial aid, and other services on campus.  You need to check with different departments on campus before you decide to drop below 12 hours.  You may also carry more than 18 hours; this is called an overload and has to be approved by the dean of the college you are in.  The overload forms can be picked up in the advising offices.

How many credits do I need to be a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior?

Students with 26 semester hours will be classified as sophomores, with 56 semester hours as juniors, and with 86 hours as seniors.