Elementary Education Program Offered in Roanoke
The College of Education and Human Development is pleased to offer the Interdisciplinary Studies/Elementary Education (grades preK-6) program in a cohort format in the Roanoke area. The program begins with the Summer I session each summer; all students in the cohort will complete all course work together as a group.
This program is offered in an effort to meet the needs of individuals in the Roanoke and surrounding areas and those of local schools and communities.
Information sessions are scheduled each fall and spring. Contact the Radford University offices in Roanoke for specific dates and times:
- Roanoke Higher Education Center (RHEC)
Suite 510, 108 N. Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA 24016
Classes and field experiences are offered in Roanoke but students will be expected to come to the Radford campus for special events, activities, etc.
Tentative Program Plan: An Overview
- 43 semester hours of core curriculum (completed through VWCC)
- 42 to 43 semester hours of major requirements
Interdisciplinary Core of 18 to 19 semester hours to strengthen content area knowledge base; 24 hours in two concentration areas in special education and social studies, science, English or mathematics (21 semester hours of the major can be completed at VWCC)
- 39 semester hours of professional education requirements; includes two semesters of "in the school" placements
Summer – 6-9 semester hours of RU courses are delivered in Roanoke (allows students to continue taking courses at VWCC if necessary)
Fall – 6 semester hours of RU courses are delivered in Roanoke (allows students to continue taking courses at VWCC if necessary); the associate's degree at VWCC must be completed by the end of the first fall semester of enrollment in the cohort
- Spring – 12-15 semester hours of RU courses are delivered in Roanoke
- Summer – 6-9 semester hours of RU courses are delivered in Roanoke
- Fall – 15 semester hours (clinical experience) will be full-time day student with RU; Field placements are in the Roanoke City School system
- Spring – 12 semester hours (student teaching) will be full-time day student with RU; field placements are in the Roanoke City School System
Every effort is made to offer all RU courses in the afternoons, evenings, and occasionally on Saturdays.
Requirements for the Interdisciplinary Studies Program
- Must achieve and maintain a 3.0 grade point average in all college work attempted, at RU, in the major, and in professional education to be formally admitted to the RU teacher education program and to graduate
- Must document 50 clock hours of experience/observations with young children (EDU 100 from VWCC will satisfy this requirement)
- Document passing scores on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA, PRAXIS I examination and PRAXIS II to be enrolled in fall clinical experience; students will need to pass these assessments by the end of first fall semester; passing scores are required to be admitted to the RU teacher education program
- Attend a required meeting about the application process for admission to the RU teacher education program; all above requirements must be met in order to submit the application
- Document passing scores on the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE)--this will be completed while enrolled in the first field experience
Teacher Education programs at RU are state approved and NCATE accredited.
Applications for admission to Radford University are available in the RU office at the RHEC.