1. What is a Student Account?

A student account is the account we charge tuition, fees, room, board, and other miscellaneous charges (room damages, short term loans, etc.). Since the student is the individual that will be receiving the service from the university, we bill the student.

2. What is EFT and ACH?

EFT (Electric Funds Transfer) is the transfer of Stafford, PLUS, and Alternative Loans to Radford University from a lender. Lenders will electronically send monies and we apply those monies to remaining balances on students' accounts and process any necessary refunds. ACH (Automatic Clearing House) is a term used by banks for Direct Deposit. If you choose this option, you can have your excess monies deposited directly to your checking or savings account. The only requirement is to complete an ACH Agreement form (RU Direct Deposit) and attach either a voided check (for checking) or savings deposit slip (for savings).

3. I won't be here to pick up my Work Study check.  What do I do?

To have your pay check mailed, complete the "Request to Mail Work-Study/Wage Check" form found online. Once the check is available for pick up, we will mail it to you. If you fail to complete the request form, we will mail the check to the address listed on the paycheck after a 8 week waiting period.

4. What is the comprehensive fee?

Tuition and required fees include tuition, a comprehensive fee, a technology fee and for out-of-state students a state mandated capital fee.  The comprehensive fee is a required fee for student services such as the student health and counseling center, student activities, recreation, intramural activities, student union, transit services, athletics, debt service, and other auxiliary services.

5. Why have I been charged a $75.00 late fee?

There are four reasons why a student could be charged a late fee:

  • Payment was received after the payment deadline.
  • Students that register during the drop/add time and do not pay by the day of registration.
  • If a payment is returned and is not made good prior to the payment deadline.
  • If a payment plan payment is received after the scheduled deadline.

You may appeal a late fee by writing to the Office of the Bursar. The appeal should explain, in detail, why you believe the late fee should not be charged. Send documentation to support your claim to: PO Box 6922, Radford, VA 24142 or email bursar@radford.edu. All appeals are evaluated and responded to as soon as a decision is made.

6. What is a bookstore voucher?

A bookstore voucher is a way to use your Financial Aid refund before the funds are received by the university. You can use up to $600.00 per semester ($250.00 per summer session) of your excess financial aid credit to purchase books and supplies at the RU Bookstore. In order to obtain the bookstore voucher follow these steps:

7. I withdrew with a "W".  Why can't I get a refund?

If a student withdraws from all classes with a "W" after the fourth week after the Census Date, the student will not be eligible for a refund of tuition and fees. Please refer to the withdrawal policy for additional information. Exceptions to the withdrawal policy may be granted.

8. What is a registration/transcript hold, and why would I have one?

A registration/transcript hold prevents student registration and obtaining transcripts or diplomas.

The Bursar's Office places these holds for the following reasons:

·        Unpaid balance on tuition, fees, room, and board for returning students and graduating students

·        Perkins, Nursing and State Student Loan exit interview not completed

·        Past due Perkins, Nursing, and State Student Loan

To clear the hold on your account, you must pay the outstanding balance in full or complete the required paperwork before a Bursar's Office staff member can remove it.

9. How long do I have to cancel my registration in order to get a refund in full?

Students have up to the business day before school begins to cancel registration and not be charged any fees. Beginning the first day of school, a student will go through their academic advisor and withdraw from school. After the semester begins, a student must adhere to the school withdrawal or class withdrawal policies, and be responsible for any charges incurred.

10. Am I eligible for the Virginia Educators reduced rate?

Full-time Virginia educators (K-12) are eligible to apply for a reduced tuition rate for Radford University courses offered on and off campus. Virginia educators can be enrolled for a graduate degree, additional endorsements or for re-licensure. Radford University has implemented this policy as recognition of the importance for Virginia educators to enhance their professional knowledge and skills. An application must be submitted each academic year to the College Of Graduate and Professional Studies. The following eligibility guidelines apply:

  • A baccalaureate degree is required for Kindergarten through Grade 12 public and private Virginia school teachers, counselors, administrators, supervisors, librarians, and coaches. Admission to the Radford University College of Graduate and Professional Studies as a matriculated or non-degree student is required.
  • Eligible personnel must be full-time contractual employees of public school division or private school within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  • Individuals on official leave from their assignments are eligible for reduced tuition.
  • There is no restriction on the number of hours that can be taken.
  • Courses for which educators request reduced tuition must be for professional development, not for planned career changes outside of education.

For more information, please contact the College of Graduate and Professional Studies at 540- 831-5431.

11. Why is the bill higher in the Spring Semester for on-campus students?

Before the fall semester begins, on-campus returning students pay a room deposit. New students pay an enrollment deposit and if living on-campus the room deposit. Deposits are credited to the student account as a payment towards the fall semester. You are not required to pay deposits again for the spring semester, thus, this explains a higher bill for the spring semester.

12. When will I receive my refund?

Financial aid refunds are generated automatically once a financial aid overpayment shows on the student account. If the student has signed up for direct deposit, the refund will be in the identified bank account three business days after the refund has been processed. If the student has not submitted a Direct Deposit Form, a refund check will be mailed to the student's mailing address within 14 days of receipt of the funds.

If you are not enrolled full-time and are expecting a refund from a financial aid overpayment, your refund will be processed the second week of school after schedule adjustment has ended. All financial aid refunds are sent to the mailing address as stated on the Registrar Office's system. If a mailing address is not available, the default address would be the permanent address. It is the student's responsibility to keep a current address on file with the university in order to receive mailings in a timely manner. If an overpayment shows on your account and it is not created by financial aid, the student is required to request a refund by completing a Refund Request Form in the Bursar's Office. If a request is not filed, the overpayment will remain on the account to offset the next semester's costs.

13. If I have direct deposit set up can you apply my refund to my bank account?

Yes, all excess financial aid monies may be deposited directly to your checking or savings account. If you would like to sign up for direct deposit, complete the direct deposit form on OneCampus.   Please note, students are responsible for resolution if incorrect bank or account information is entered.

14. What happens if I enter old or incorrect direct deposit information and my refund is sent to an old account or someone else's account in error?

  • The University deposits refunds to the bank account you enter when you set up your direct deposit instructions with the University. Please update your direct deposit information if the bank account is no longer current.
  • If your refund is processed to an old or incorrect bank account, it is up to the student to coordinate with each individual financial institution (bank or credit union) to return the funds to the University. 
  • If the institution does not return funds to the University, it is the student's responsibility to work directly with the institution to resolve the issue. 
  • If the bank or credit union returns the funds to the University, the refund will be processed automatically after direct deposit information is updated.  

15. I did not use all of my bookstore voucher, what happens now?

If a student does not use all of the bookstore voucher allotment in the time provided, the University Bookstore will provide the Bursar's Office with a list of students and the amount used. We apply the unused portion to the student's account as a credit. If the account shows there is a credit due to the student, a refund will be processed. (See question 13 concerning delivery times).

16. I had a check returned, what do I need to do?

If a check is returned for insufficient funds, the university will assess the student account a $50 service charge, and the student account may be subject to a 10% late fee with a maximum charge of $75 on the returned check. Repayment (including the service charge) must be made upon notification with guaranteed funds. If repayment is made by eCheck or personal check, the Bursar's Office will wait ten business days for the payment to clear before releasing a transcript/registration hold.

17. What is Hope Scholarship/ Life Long Learning Credits?

Hope Scholarship and the Life Time Learning Credit are in simpler terms a Tax Credit. Congress passed the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 giving taxpayers two possible tax credits for tuition and fees paid after January 1, 1998. Details of the act may be accessed online, through a personal tax advisor, or the IRS.

18. If I register at the beginning of the semester when is my tuition due?

Payment is due the day you register in order to avoid paying a 10% late fee with a maximum of $75 on the balance.

19. Where do I send my payment?

We accept payment by cash, check, money order, cashier’s check and credit cards (2.8% service fee will be charged for credit card payments) in the Bursar's Office. You can mail payment to us at Radford University, Office of the Bursar, PO Box 6922, Radford, VA 24142. Be sure to include the student’s ID number on the check. Payments by express or overnight mail should be sent to Radford University, Office of the Bursar, Heth Hall, Fairfax Street, Radford, VA 24142.

You may also make payment online by credit card (VISA, Discover, MasterCard or American Express) or eCheck (you provide your bank routing and account number). There is a 2.8% service charge to make payment by credit card, but there is no fee charged for eChecks. To learn more about making a payment online, visit the credit card or eCheck payment instructions online.

20. Why are PLUS loan monies posted to the student's account first?

Approximately 95% of all PLUS and Stafford loan funds are now received electronically by Radford University. The money is posted in the order it is received. Typically, the PLUS loan money comes in first; and, therefore, is electronically received and applied to the student's account. Once the PLUS loan money is received, the parent is requested to notify Radford University in writing or by e-mail to whom the PLUS loan refund (if applicable) should be issued. If this creates an overpayment, then it is at the discretion of the parent as to who should receive the refund. Stafford loan refunds are made payable to the student and may be directly deposited into a checking or savings account of the student's choice or by paper check and mailed to the student's mailing address.