The CITL, along with campus and local K12 partners, held the third annual Word Festival vocabulary video competition in Fall 2018. See the winning entries below!
IMPORTANT: View guidelines, examples and last year's winners below. Submit your video by uploading it to Vimeo and then filling out our SUBMISSION FORM.
The contest involves students making short, live-action videos (20 seconds or less) in which they express the meaning of a particular word to the viewer. Words must be derived from an archived list of the New York Times Word Of The Day (click to DOWNLOAD), and definitions must be derived and cited from Merriam-Webster Online, Cambridge Dictionary Online, or Dictionary.com.
In addition, there is a FOREIGN LANGUAGE category as well as dictionaries for music and medical fields!! Rules are the same, see guidelines below for specifics and an example video. Word resources for Spanish, German and other languages to be used:
- Online Spanish Dictionary Word of the Day - peruse their Word of the Day feature to find an interesting word.
- Collins Dictionary - multiple foreign language translation features.
- Word Reference - multiple foreign language translation features.
- Langenscheidt's - online Germany dictionary with translations in 25 languages.
- Merrian Webster Medical - online medical dictionary.
- Oxford Dictionary of Music - users on campus can access online.
View participaton guidelines and winning films below.
Guidelines and Examples
1. Videos must be no more than 20 seconds.
2. Video must be live-action (can have additional elements).
3. Each word must be displayed, pronounced and defined, and the part of speech given.
4. For words in a language other than English: the language should be given and the word should be displayed and pronounced in the language. Provide an English translation of the definition (subtitles may be used).
5. If there are several definitions, the first one is fine (though a second or third definition could be used as well).
6. Use your imagination. You can act the word out, dramatize it, use puppets, draw, sing a song, create a dance, write a skit, incorporate photographs, use claymation, stop-motion, or anything else that will help viewers understand and learn your word.
7. Commercially produced media is not permitted.
8. Videos must be uploaded to Vimeo.com to be considered (participants will provide the URL in the submission form).
Fall 2018 Awards
First Place: Vex - Kaleb Reese
Runner-Up: Killjoy - Natalie Green
Honorable Mention: Berserk - Olivia Close
Honorable Mention: Pacifist - Miles Goff
Honorable Mention: Xenophobia - Whitney McGregor
Honorable Mention: Ornithologist - Ari Burress
Honorable Mention: Xenophobia - Savannah Nettleton
Honorable Mention: Foppish - Lily Hyatt
Honorable Mention: Discombobulated - Owen Greene
Honorable Mention: Elegy - Nicholas Keeling
INTERMEDIATE/HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION
First Place: Peregrination - Adalynn Turner
Runner-Up: Ghastly - Braxton Davis
Runner-Up: Mirage - Erasia Prim
Honorable Mention: Mirage - Makenzie Zaky and Kayla Viers
Honorable Mention: Dapper - Nico Pugliese
Honorable Mention: Dawdle - William Brunner
Honorable Mention: Detonation - Ellie Weeks and Kayla Eller
Honorable Mention: Bait - Blaine McGinnis
FOREIGN LANGUAGE DIVISION (ELEMENTARY DIVISION)
FOREIGN LANGUAGE DIVISION (INTERMEDIATE/HIGH SCHOOL)
First Place: El Banjo - Ben Pierce, Skyler Locke and Hannah Cantrell
Runner-up: Bailar - Alonzo Emmett, Callan Utley, Julia Neville, and Augden Utley
RADFORD UNIVERSITY DIVISION
First Place (tie): Iridescent - Eilish Bailey
First Place (tie): Decomposition - Meghan Denslinger
Runner-Up: Alchemy - Julene Rice, Amari Coles and Jacquelyn Gutierrez-Adrian
Honorable Mention: Wanderlust - Gabby Reed-Carlock, Kayley Widely, Tazinaye Griffin, Sherry Chenault, Clara Kim
Honorable Mention: Shimmer - Serita Johnson, Samantha Olierton, Kristen Turner, Ajay Deshazo and Antonio Brunch
Honorable Mention: Mirage - Kayla Courtney, Andrea Lupi Chirinos, Maggie Ryan and Robyn Hall
Honorable Mention: Squat - Amanda Weeks, Katelyn Klimczak
Honorable Mention: Killjoy - Gabby Reed-Carlock, Kayley Widely, Tazinaye Griffin, Sherry Chenault, Clara Kim