Congratulations #RadGrads! As you count down the days to commencement, please take a few moments to make sure that you have reviewed all the details so you can relax and enjoy your commencement day.
- The ceremony will last approximately 2 hours.
Tickets are not required for guests at the December 2021 Commencement Ceremony at the Dedmon Center. Other commencement events may require tickets. Please check the schedule of events for details.
Parking is available in Lot Z. There will be parking staff and University Police officers stationed to help direct to the nearest parking area.
View the parking map [PDF].
Graduating students should arrive at the Dedmon Center Riverside Entrance 1 hour prior to the ceremony time and proceed to the practice court to check-in. No one other than graduating students will be permitted in the check-in area.
Graduating students are required to have caps, hoods and gowns. Purchase these as soon as possible online or in person from the Bookstore at Radford University main campus or Radford University Carilion (RUC).
- White Coat - contact program liaison
- Honor Tassels - Registrar, 105 Heth Hall beginning Dec. 1
- Latin Honor Tassels - Registrar, 105 Heth Hall
- Nursing Stole - $31.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- Active Duty Armed Services (all branches) Stole - $48.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- Veteran Stole - $36.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- First Responder Stole - $31.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- Fraternity and Sorority Life Stole - National Office
- Student Athlete Stole - 329 Dedmon Center
- Philanthropy Cords - Annual Giving, thehive.radford.edu
- Alumni Legacy Stole - Alumni Relations, 150 Russell Hall
- *International Stole - $49.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- LGBTQ+ Stole - $49.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- Kente Stole - $48.98 - Bookstore, Dalton Hall or RUC Bookstore
- Mexican Serape Stole - CDI, Heth Hall
- Native American Stole - CDI, Heth Hall
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion Diversity Stole - CDI, Heth Hall
- First Generation Stole - Free - The Center for Opportunity and Social Mobility - Hurlburt (Bonnie) Student Center, Room 115
*International Stoles are specific to a student's country and must be ordered in advance.
Doctoral and Masters degree graduates will be hooded.
Undergraduate tassels are worn on the right side then are moved to the left when degrees are conferred.
- Graduates who need accessibility services should contact the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) by December 1 at 540-831-6350, 540-922-1176 (VP) or email@example.com.
- Service animals are permitted but this does not include service animals in training or ESAs.
Diplomas will be mailed after all grades are finalized and certified by the Registrar’s Office.
Livestream and Photography
A link to a livestream of the commencement ceremony will be available from the University homepage, on this website and university social media platforms - Facebook and Twitter for guests that want to view all of the excitement but are unable to attend. Live captioning will be available.
Radford University has contracted with Grad Images to provide quality graduation photos of each student. Proofs will be emailed to the student within 48 hours of the ceremony. #RadGrads and families are also welcome to take photos of their special day after the ceremony on or near the stage area as well as outside around campus.
December weather can be difficult to predict. We will monitor the forecast carefully and if severe weather appears likely to impact commencement, we will provide regular updates via email to our graduating students. Any changes to the commencement schedule will also be available on this website, University homepage and shared on University social media platforms - Facebook and Twitter.
First Destination Survey
We're excited to see what each of you are doing upon graduation as you make a positive impact in the Commonwealth and beyond. Please take 3 minutes or less to complete the First Destination survey today!