Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Davis College of Business and Education
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Emergency Services
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Surgical Technology
- Public Health
- Healthcare Administration
- Respiratory Therapy: Pre Licensure
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Center for Interprofessional Education and Practice
- Health Sciences
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- School of Social Work
- Applied Physiology Laboratory
- Respiratory Therapy: Post Licensure
- Department of Public Health and Healthcare Leadership
This Degree Advancement program is specifically designed to meet the needs of practicing respiratory therapists who have already completed or are anticipating completing an accredited respiratory care program with an entry into respiratory care professional practice degree. It meets the needs of individuals who wish to obtain advanced training in Respiratory Care, advance their knowledge of educational and managerial theories, and / or bridge to a graduate degree in Physician Assistant, MSRT, MBA and more.
For more detailed program information and requirements, visit our Academic Catalog
This fully online curriculum [PDF] emphasizes:
- The history, current state, and future direction of the field of respiratory therapy.
- The evolution and current state of credentialing, licensing, directional organizations and related legal issues.
- Landmark studies regarding clinical practice and the direction of the field.
- Educational standards, techniques, methods, theory and designs used within the educational domain of Respiratory Therapy.
- Evidence-based techniques and procedures that promote effective departmental management and leadership within the respiratory therapy field.
- Principles of research-based practice in the field of respiratory therapy.
- The degree culminates in a capstone course in which the student integrates and synthesizes core concepts of respiratory therapy into a managerial, educational, or research project.
What makes this program different?
- Your Baccalaureate Degree – Your Way. This fully online, customizable curriculum [PDF] gives you to take the coursework important to you with tracks in pre-Physician Assistant, Healthcare Management, Health Sciences and more.
- Length of Completion – Accepting up to 80 transferable credit hours and awarding you a additional 10 credit hours for your documented excellence by obtaining the RRT credential and service within the field, this degree has the ability to be completed within a single year.
- Experience of Instruction – Every instructor have been carefully selected due to their accomplishments and experience and carry a wealth of experience to help you obtain your goals
- Financial Affordability – As a Virginia State University, we pride ourselves in making this next step education affordable, making this one of the most financially feasible curriculum in the country.
- Expert Advising – Every student is assigned a advisor who is a dedicated, full time faculty member that has been in your exact same situation. We are determined to assist you through your plan of study and see you reach your goals.
Multiple national agencies report the annual salary for respiratory therapists between $66,580 to $78,897 with top earners (80th to 100th percentile) making between $100,000 to $134,500 per year. Most individuals within the higher percentiles have obtained more advanced degrees.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of Respiratory Therapists is expected to increase by up to 26% in coming years.
This degree begins the journey to your educational, managerial, advanced clinical practice, of prescribing provider position of the future.
Graduation or anticipated graduation (within one term) from an accredited Associate of Science (AS) or an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Respiratory Therapy with a GPA of 2.5 or above.
The Degree Advancement Respiratory Therapy program at Radford University Carilion is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) and will be seeking accreditation from the Commission On Accreditation for Respiratory Care (COARC).