Veterans Benefits


As a veteran, active duty or reserve member, you may have earned educational benefits for yourself and dependents. The Department of Veterans Affairs can determine your eligibility for VA education benefits. Each program has specific requirements.

If you are unsure which program applies to you, compare benefits through the VA website. Call the GI Bill helpline at (888) 442-4551 or stop by the center in Russell 406.

Information regarding Radford University procedures and application information is available from the Registrar's office at Veterans Information.


Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9-11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education assistance based on active duty service after September 10, 2001.  Components include:

Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill (active duty)

Chapter 33 provides up to 36 months of full-time attendance for 15 years following release from active duty.  Available assistance may vary depending on length of active duty.

Under this program, tuition funds will be sent directly to Radford University on a service member's behalf.  Service members might also qualify for assistance with housing, books and academic supplies.  

Transferring the Post-9/11 GI Bill to a dependent

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows active duty service members to transfer unused education benefits to a spouse or dependent child.  The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits.  The transferablity policy is determined by the Department of Defense.

To submit a transfer educational benefits request, use the Common Access Card (CAC) or Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) pin to log on to the DoD Transferability of Education Benefits page.  Follow the instructions provided. 

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 GI Bill that helps pay out-of-state tuition for eligible undergraduate and graduate students. It is a federal program that provides matching funds up to $1,000 per year ($500 fall/$500 spring), with 100 percent of all proceeds going to our Radford University student veterans. 


Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill provides up to 36 months of education assistance based on active duty service.  Components include:

Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill (active duty)

Chapter 30 provides up to 36 months of education assistance based on length of active duty service, up to 10 years following release from active duty. The VA pays the benefit in monthly installments, directly to the recipient.

Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill (selected reserves)

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve program may be available if you are a member of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard.

Service members may be entitled to up to 36 months of education benefits. Benefit entitlement ends 10 years from the date of eligibility for the program, or on the day a service member leaves the selected reserve.


Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

Survivors and dependents programs provide education assistance to family members of veterans who became permanently disabiled or died from a service-related cause.

Ch.  35 Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program

The Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance Program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition.  The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. 

Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program

The Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program provides education benefits to spouses and children of military service members killed, missing in action, taken prisoner or who became at least 90 percent disabled as a result of military service in an armed conflict. 

This program may pay for tuition and fees at any state-supported college or university.  Benefits are available for up to four years.

To continue receiving VMSDEP benefits, qualifying enrolled students must provide a letter to the Virginia Department of Veterans Services stating their continued enrollment.

Apply for this program through the Virginia Department of Veteran Services.


Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 31, the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program, was established for service members and veterans with service-connected physical or mental disabilities.

This program can prepare students for a suitable job, help them get and keep jobs, and assist them in becoming fully productive and independent.  Services include education and training, financial assistance, career planning and job placement.