Getting Started

1. Apply to Radford University

For more information, contact the Admissions Office.

Undergraduate Student Application
Graduate Student Application
Transfer Student Application
grey bar
2. Request military and college transcripts

Request to have your military transcripts sent electronically to Radford University if you qualify for any academic credits through military training. An official evaluation will be conducted after a student’s admission has been finalized and more specific information regarding how the course(s) will transfer can be given.

Submit the Joint Services Transcript (JST)* if you served in the Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard. *Note:  Follow the manual prompts on this website.

Submit the Air University Transcript if you served in the Air Force.

Submit any transcripts for courses taken at other colleges, including dual enrollment, community colleges and four year institutions. Have scores sent for any Advanced Placement, CLEP or International Baccalaureate subjects. The minimum score requirements are in the undergraduate catalog. 

grey bar

3. Apply for GI Bill benefits

To apply for education benefits through the GI Bill, submit the appropriate form to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA determines eligibility.

If you have never received VA education benefits, apply online using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).

If you previously used military benefits at another institution, you do not need to re-submit the VONAPP. To transfer your benefits to Radford University, complete the VA 22-1995 Change of Program Place or Training Form

Complete the VA 22-5495 [PDF] Change of Program Place of Training Form if you are a military dependent or spouse who has received benefits under Ch. 33 or Ch. 35.

If you qualify, you should receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. To check your benefit application status, visit the eBenefits website or contact the VA at (888) 442-4551.

grey bar

4. Meet with your academic advisor

Once you are admitted to Radford University, you should attend a Quest session, our orientation programs for new and transfer students. Separate sessions are held for freshmen and transfers. For more information, upcoming dates and registration visit the Quest website. At Quest you will meet with an academic advisor to choose and then register for classes. You can also stop by the Military Resource Center table at the student fair.

grey bar

5. Submit forms to Radford University

Once approved for benefits by the VA you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for veterans or Transfer of Eligibility-Dependent (TOE). Submit a copy to the Registrar’s Office or bring it to the Military Resource Center. Students who are pre-registered are certified by the Registrar’s Office. Tuition benefits to be paid directly to the university will be sent by the VA; housing and other benefits will be paid directly to the student.

grey bar

6. Apply for other forms of financial aid

Contact the Financial Aid office to find if you are eligible for other types of financial aid.

Veterans who receive military education benefits and attend school at least three-quarters of the time may qualify for VA work-study. They will be paid at the federal minimum wage. If interested, submit an application to become a VA work study student VA Form 22-8691 The Military Resource Center will assign VA work study students to positions working with veterans on and off campus.

Also check out the listing under Scholarships on the Military Resource Center website which has a listing of other scholarships available to veterans and dependents.