Academic Integrity

What to do if you suspect academic dishonesty.

1. If you feel that a student may have done something dishonest the first step is talking with the student. Often students will be honest and up front with you. The student may present an explanation that you feel is acceptable and no further attention is needed.

2. If the student’s actions warrant further attention then you should contact either your Academic Integrity Case Coordinator or the Office of Student Standards and Conduct. The Case Coordinator or the Office of Student Standards and Conduct can provide guidance on the process and next steps.

3. You will need to schedule a meeting to discuss the matter further with the student.  In this meeting you will discuss why you believe there is an issue of academic integrity.

4. The student has two options in the meeting either to accept the voluntary resolution, which includes accepting responsibility for the violations and all sanctions, or to not accept the voluntary resolution.

5. If a student accepts the voluntary resolution then all agreed upon sanctions are implemented, and the case goes to the Office of Student Standards and Conduct to determine if additional sanctions are appropriate.  If there are any prior academic integrity violations such sanctions will likely include suspension or dismissal.

6. If a student does not accept the voluntary resolution then a Hearing will occur to determine the outcome of the case.

7. After the meeting, please provide copies of the Academic Integrity Voluntary Resolution form to the student, your college’s case coordinator, and the Office of Student Standards and Conduct. You should keep the original copy of the voluntary resolution.

Sanctions often include but are not limited to writing a reflective or other topic specific paper, participation in seminars or programs, and a grade penalty.
If at any point you need assistance please feel free to contact the Office of Student Standards and Conduct at 540-831-5321.

Academic Integrity Fillable Form