Off-Campus Education Sessions

Instructions for locating and registering for the course.

1.       On your D2L home page just under the Radford University logo is a gray bar.  On the bar is the text “Self Registration”.  Click this.

2.       Review the available courses and select (click on) “Off Campus Education Session”

3.       In the course description section click the Register (first of three steps).

4.       This brings you to Registration Form section.  Click Submit (second of three steps).

5.       In the Confirmation section click Finish. (Third of three steps).

6.       The course will appear in your course listings on D2L in a few minutes.

More detailed instructions can be found here.


1. When and where are the sessions?

The Off-Campus Education Session will be offered to all qualified residential students through D2L. The online session will be offered beginning January 03, 2017. Students will be required to watch a video in four parts and pass a short quiz based on the information presented in the video. The deadline to complete the OCE session is March 1, 2017. 

2. Who should complete the off-campus education session?

Students who have lived on campus for at least two semesters and are interested in living off campus during the 2017-2018 academic year and anyone who wants to learn general information about what to expect when signing a lease for an apartment.

3. What is the purpose of the off-campus education session?

This session is designed to present students with useful information related to making housing choices. The session is sponsored by the Office of the Dean of Students and the Off-Campus Student Council; local realtors and legal representatives also participate to provide additional information. Students will watch an online video of the session.

4. If I plan to live on campus next fall, do I need to take the session?

No. Please remember that the session will only be offered on D2L for a certain time period, so if you change your mind later in the spring or during the summer, you will not have the option to complete the session then.

5. If I complete the session, am I required to move off-campus?

No. Completing the session helps you meet one of the requirements for moving off campus. However, you are welcome to remain on campus for the upcoming academic year.

6. If I plan on living in a university-operated apartment, do I need to complete the session?

You are not required to complete the session if you are living in the residnece halls or university-operated apartments.

7. When will I receive information to live on-campus next year?

The Office of Housing and Residential Life will notify students when the housing application for next academic year is available.  This is typically in the spring semester. 

8. If I am not eligible to move off-campus and I do not sign up for a space on-campus, what will happen?

If you are not eligible to move off campus and you do not select a space in the residence halls, a space may be assigned for you.  You will likely be charged room and board for the fall and spring semesters if you enroll at Radford University for the academic year.

NOTE: Rooms will be assigned based on available space.

9. How will I know if I have been released from the requirements to live on-campus for academic year?

You must submit a completed Application for Release from Residential Student Agreement (PDF) after viewing the Off-Campus Education Session and successfully completing the required quiz (80% or better) to the Office of Housing & Residential Life located in 226 Heth Hall.  Once your request has been processed, you will receive an email indicating whether or not your request has been approved. 

10. How long will the session last?

The completion time is about 1 hour 15 minutes.

11. How much does the Off-Campus Education Session cost to take?

There is no charge to take the Off Campus Education Session.

13. If I don't complete the session, will the d2l session be re-opened?

The Off Campus Education Session is made avaialable for a specific time period and is accessable 24 hours/day during this window.  Should there be a need to expand its availability, students will be altered to the extension.

14. If am a new student who started school in the spring semester, am I eligible to live off-campus for the 2017-2018 academic year?

No, you will be required to live on-campus for the entire 2017-2018 academic year.  You can fulfill the second semester requirement by being enrolled and living in the residence hall during both Summer I and Summer II school sessions.

15. If I have a specific question or situation I need clarification on, who should I contact?

If you have questions, contact the Office of Housing & Residential Life. You can stop by the Housing & Residential Life Office at 226 Heth Hall or contact them via email or call at 540- 831-5375.