Returning Students

Welcome back to campus! As a returning student, we value your choice to continue to live on campus. When you live at Radford University, you get the full university experience with convenience and affordability.

Move-in Date

Upperclass students may begin moving into the residence halls for fall semester on Saturday, August 26 at 8:30 a.m.

Please use the links below for important information regarding housing for returning students.

On-campus housing process for returning students


  1. Must have paid a $200 room deposit. Priority will be given to the first nine hundred students that pay the room deposit by the deadline date.
  2. Must have completed and submitted a 2017-2018 Currently Enrolled Student On Campus Housing Application on-line to be considered (the application can be found on your MyRU click the bed icon after you have paid your $200.00 room deposit). Priority will be given to the first 900 students who submitted materials by the required deadline date. 
  3. Must have indicated where you are interested in living and with whom you are interested in living with on your On Campus Housing Application by the deadline date.
  4. Must have selected a room during room selection by deadline date.

Note: If all these expectations are not met by the deadline date, a student not otherwise rquired to live on campus according to the Radford On Campus Boarding Policy will not be guaranteed housing and will be put onto a waiting list.


  1. How do I contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life?
    For verification purposes all students should contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life using their RU email account including their RU ID number.
  2. What do I do if I accidentally start or submit a housing application?
    Contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life using your RU email, Student ID number and FULL name to request that the application be canceled.
  3. How will I find out my room assignment?
    For currently enrolled students, confirmation about room sign up will be emailed out by the end of spring semester. Final assignments and roommate information will go out the 1st week in August.
  4. What do I do if I change my mind and decided not to live on campus?
    Students must be eligible to live off campus and must submit a Request for Release from the Residential Student Agreement (PDF) form along with any required documentation to the Office of Housing and Residential Life, Heth Hall Rm. 226.  Incomplete requests will not be considered.

Note: Room deposits are refundable up until June 1.

Fire safety

University policy

Community living requires that you consider the importance of fire safety and prevention. A sophisticated fire detection system, located in each of the residence halls, monitors and provides 24-hour fire protection for the building. Fire extinguishers are also located in each hallway for your protection.

Radford University and the Commonwealth of Virginia are concerned with fire safety and  have taken these steps to provide you and your fellow residents with appropriate fire protection. Your cooperation is needed to keep the fire equipment in working order.  As a resident, it is your responsibility to report any fire violations to a staff member.  Refer to the Standards of Student Conduct for more details on fire safety.

The fire equipment located in the residence halls (alarms, extinguishers, sprinkler heads, and hall and room smoke detectors) is provided for use in an emergency. Tampering with this equipment is a serious matter which can result in its ineffectiveness during an emergency. Such tampering will lead to University disciplinary action resulting in suspension/dismissal as well as criminal prosecution! Fires can threaten human life and cause significant damage to property. You must realize the important role that you as a resident play in fire safety.

Radford University Housing and Residential Life staff will also conduct monthly fire and safety inspections in all residence hall rooms and university owned and operated apartments.  These will take place between the 1st and 15th of each month.  Ask your RA or RD if you have any specific questions or concerns. See the Personalizing Your Living Space for a list of items that we recommend you bring and leave at home.   

Setting up your room

Only approved appliances may be used in the residence halls. Be sure to turn off and unplug all appliances immediately after use. Remain in your room when an electrical appliance is in use.

Candles/Open flames
Candles, with or without wicks, and other open flame objects are not permitted.

Multiple plug adapters/extension cords
Extension cords are prohibited. ONLY Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) approved power strip (or box) with a built-in circuit breaker and/or reset button is permitted. These strips must not have a cord longer than fifteen feet and should not exceed 15 amps.

To comply with international fire code no more than 10% of room walls and doors can be covered with flammable items.  Also, nothing can be attached to or hanging from the ceiling.  Purchasing shelves to display items is a good way to personalize your room.  Consult your RD for further details on decorations.

Furniture placement
The narrow corridor that leads to the doorway should not be obstructed in any way to impede the exit from your room.  Neat and orderly items stored to provide egress for  emergency evacuations.

Room smoke detectors

Each residence hall room contains a smoke detector. Residents are not required to test the smoke detectors in these buildings—the system monitors to assure they are working.

Residents of University Operated Apartments at Calhoun Street and Davis Street have battery-operated smoke detectors in their rooms. Virginia state law requires that each battery-operated smoke detector be tested weekly and record the results to ensure it is operating properly. To check the detector, simply press the button on the detector, hold, and wait for alarm to sound. If after 5-10 seconds the alarm does not sound, notify your RA or RD immediately. Ensuring your smoke detector is operating is YOUR responsibility. Failure to report non-functioning detectors may result in judicial action.


Any time a fire alarm sounds, you should always assume that a fire exists! University policy mandates that you  must evacuate the building and remain evacuated until notified by university officials that it is safe to reenter.

As leave your room:

  • Close all windows and door
  • Lock door - wear a coat/shoes
  • Take a towel to place over your face in case of smoke
  • Alert your roommate and suitemates if they have not exited the building
  • Exit the building as calmly and quickly as possible using the nearest safe exit.
  • Proceed to designated area and remain until "All Clear" signal is given
  • If an exit is blocked, proceed to the nearest safe exit. If ALL exits are blocked go back to your room, close the door, and call 5500 (Radford University Police Department) to report your location.

If room exit is blocked:

  • Stay calm
  • Seal cracks around door
  • Open window slightly, if there is no smoke outside
  • Tie a wet cloth over your nose and mouth
  • Stay low where air is fresher
  • Signal rescuers by waving a sheet or clothing out of window
  • Do not jump if you are higher than two stories
  • If your clothing should catch on fire, do not run! Stop, Drop, and Roll to smother flames

Off-campus education sessions

Instructions for locating and registering for the course.

  1. On your D2L home page just under the Radford University logo is a gray bar. On the bar is the text “Self Registration”. Click this.
  2. Review the available courses and select (click on) “Off Campus Education Session.”
  3. In the course description section click the Register (first of three steps).
  4. This brings you to Registration Form section. Click Submit (second of three steps).
  5. In the Confirmation section click Finish. (Third of three steps).
  6. The course will appear in your course listings on D2L in a few minutes.


  1. When and where are the sessions?
    The Off-Campus Education Session will be offered to all qualified residential students through D2L. The online session will be offered beginning January 03, 2017. Students will be required to watch a video in four parts and pass a short quiz based on the information presented in the video. The deadline to complete the OCE session is March 1, 2017. 
  2. Who should complete the off-campus education session?
    Students who have lived on campus for at least two semesters and are interested in living off campus during the 2017-2018 academic year and anyone who wants to learn general information about what to expect when signing a lease for an apartment
  3. What is the purpose of the off-campus education session?
    This session is designed to present students with useful information related to making housing choices. The session is sponsored by the Office of the Dean of Students and the Off-Campus Student Council; local realtors and legal representatives also participate to provide additional information. Students will watch an online video of the session.
  4. If I plan to live on campus next fall, do I need to take the session?
    No. Please remember that the session will only be offered on D2L for a certain time period, so if you change your mind later in the spring or during the summer, you will not have the option to complete the session then.
  5. If I complete the session, am I required to move off campus?
    No. Completing the session helps you meet one of the requirements for moving off campus. However, you are welcome to remain on campus for the upcoming academic year.
  6. If I plan on living in a university-owned apartment, do I need to complete the session?
    You are not required to complete the session if you are living in the residence halls or university-operated apartments.
  7. When will I receive information to live on-campus next year?
    The Office of Housing and Residential Life will notify students when the housing application for next academic year is available. This is typically in the spring semester. 
  8. If I am not eligible to move off-campus and I do not sign up for a space on-campus, what will happen?
    If you are not eligible to move off campus and you do not select a space in the residence halls, a space may be assigned for you. You will likely be charged room and board for the fall and spring semesters if you enroll at Radford University for the academic year.
    Note: Rooms will be assigned based on available space.
  9. How will I know if I have been released from the requirements to live on-campus for the academic year?
    You must submit a completed Application for Release from Residential Student Agreement (PDF) after viewing the Off-Campus Education Session and successfully completing the required quiz (80% or better) to the Office of Housing & Residential Life located in 226 Heth Hall. Once your request has been processed, you will receive an email indicating whether or not your request has been approved. 
  10. How long will the session last?
    The completion time is about 1 hour 15 minutes.
  11. How much does the off-campus education session cost to take?
    There is no charge to take the Off Campus Education Session.
  12. If I don't complete the session, will the D2L session be re-opened?
    The Off Campus Education Session is made avaialable for a specific time period and is accessable 24 hours/day during this window. Should there be a need to expand its availability, students will be altered to the extension.
  13. If I am a new student who started school in the spring semester, am I eligible to live off-campus for the 2017-2018 academic year?
    No, you will be required to live on-campus for the entire 2017-2018 academic year. You can fulfill the second semester requirement by being enrolled and living in the residence hall during both Summer I and Summer II school sessions.
  14. If I have a specific question or situation I need clarification on, who should I contact?
    If you have questions, contact the Office of Housing & Residential Life. You can stop by the Housing & Residential Life Office at 226 Heth Hall or contact them via email or call at 540-831-5375.