Use the links below to navigate through the frequently asked questions.

FAQs about move-in

When can I move into my residence hall room?

  • Students assigned to off campus apartments may begin moving in on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
  • New students assigned to Muse Hall may begin moving in on Thursday, August 22, 2019 - view the staggered Muse Hall arrival schedule.
  • New students living in all other residence halls may begin moving in on Friday, August 23, 2019 starting at 7:30 a.m.
  • Returning students can move in on Saturday August 24, 2019 starting at 8:30 a.m.
  • There are exceptions for athletes and students participating in Quest and other programs.

I am an athlete arriving early for training. When can I move in? 
Your coach will be provide you with your move-in information.

How do I request to come earlier than my scheduled move-in date? 
Students must arrive according to the move-in schedule posted. An early arrival request form will be posted on www.radford.edu/housing when available. Exceptions are rarely granted and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  Students not required to be on campus are charged a nightly fee and could be required to stay in a temporary room until their room becomes available.

Is it better to move in during the morning or the afternoon?
Move-in days are typically busy throughout the day so it's hard to estimate when "down times" will occur. You should plan on having a busy day regardless of when you arrive.

I am living in Muse Hall. Is there a scheduled time for each floor to arrive?
Yes. Floors are given arrival times so that move-in can flow as smoothly as possible. You can find it on our move-in page once the schedule is confirmed.  

When is the earliest that I can arrive to move in?
Muse Hall residents have a more specific schedule. You can view it on our move-in page. All other freshmen moving in Friday can begin at 7:30 am. Returning students moving in Saturday and Sunday can move in starting at 8:30 am.

Where should I park for move-in? How long can I park there?
A campus parking map is available to assist you. Buildings have assigned lots so please review the map before arriving to campus. Vehicles should be pulled into the assigned lot, unpacked, and moved to the permanent lot.

Why do I have to move my car after unpacking?
Space is limited in our unloading lots so we ask that vehicles be moved after being unpacked so another resident can unload his or her vehicle.

What should I do if I have more than one vehicle? 
You may bring all of your vehicles into the unloading lot but they all must be moved once they are unpacked.

Where should I park my car after I have unloaded it?
Please refer to the parking map.

FAQs about room assignments

When will I know my hall and room placement for the fall?

  • Returning students can participate in online room selection in March if they have a complete application by the application deadline.
  • Students who do not participate in online room selection, including all new students, will be notified of their room assignment via an email to their Radford @radford.edu account the last week of July.
  • At that time, students will also receive the name and contact information of their future roommate. There are a handfull of exemptions to this due to recent legislation passed in the Viginia Commonwealth, some students have opted out of having their contact information shared. 
  • Assignment emails will be sent to Radford email accounts (@radford.edu), so please be sure to check it!

How are room assignments made?

  • Room assignments for new students entering in the fall are made according to the date the housing deposit is received. 
  • Students indicating interest in Living Learning Communities (see next question) may not necessarily be assigned according to deposit date. Some students make their housing deposit as early as January. 
  • Returning students who apply by the fall application deadline are able to participate in online room selection.  Returning students who apply after the deadline will be assigned by Housing and Residential Life with new students.

How do I apply for Priority Placement into one of the Living Learning Communities?

  • Living Learning Communities offer you the opportunity to live with other students with similar interests. These residence halls have specific majors and/or participation in academic programs. 
  • The Office of Housing and Residential Life does not select the students who are eligible and accepted to live in the Living Learning Communities. Information about the application process and Living Learning Community team leader contact information may be found at High Impact Practices at the Learning Community link. Selection is competitive and requires meeting academic requirements when applicable. 

Where are the residence hall quads located?

  • Muse Quad contains three residential communities within the same building, making it the most popular location for new students. 
  • Main Quad includes Jefferson, Madison, Norwood, Tyler, and Washington Halls.  
  • Moffett Quad includes Bolling, Draper, Ingles, Pocahontas, and Moffett Halls.  
  • Governor’s Quad includes Floyd, Peery, Stuart, and Trinkle Halls. 
  • See a map of campus.

I would like to request a roommate. How do I do this?

  • To request a specific person as a roommate, you will both need to put your requested roommates nine digit Student ID number on the online application where specified. 
  • All requests must be mutual, and received in the Office of Residential Life by 5 p.m. on July 1 for consideration.  While we cannot guarentee any request will be granted, we will make efforts to honor as many as we can.

Can I request a specific suitemate?
No, suitemates cannot be requested.

My prospective roommate and I have different dates for our deposits to the university, how does the room assignment process occur?
All housing assignments are done with regard to when the University receives student’s housing deposits and completed applications. For roommates the person with the later date of deposit will be used to determine your order in the housing assignments process. We believe that students consider who their roommates are as being more important than the locations of their rooms. In some cases, this means that the later date of deposit will result in a person not getting a first choice, such as a Living Learning Community. Therefore, students interested in Living Learning Communities should indicate if the community is more important than a requested roommate under the Living Learning Community section of the Housing Application.  

When is the last day to change my application information?
All changes to your housing preferences must be made online on or before 5 p.m. June 1.

If all the halls are smoke-free, why do you ask my smoking preferences?
All residence halls are smoke-free living environments, and smoking must be done at least 25 feet from the residence halls.  We ask students to tell us their smoking habits due to the high number of people who dislike or are allergic to the smoke which clings to clothing after smoking.  Your honesty will help us make better placements. 

What happens if I am assigned to a triple room?
More details about a tripled room.

Can I live in an air-conditioned building?
As noted above, placements are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Spaces in air-conditioned buildings are limited, so not all requests can be fulfilled. 

My residence hall assignment is not my first preference. Can I move into another building?
Room assignments are frozen through the first two weeks of each semester. At this point, residents may request room changes. However, approvals are contingent upon availability and need. Please note that the room change freeze may last longer as de-tripling rooms are our first priority.

How do I apply to live in a Super Suite or Deluxe Super Suite?
Returning and Transfer students can request a Super Suite or Deluxe Super Suite on their housing application. There are a limited number of these rooms available on campus. Criteria used for placement are:

  • Date of deposite (we will use the latest date if requesting with a roommate(s))
  • Ability to fill the unit (Super Suites house four (4) residents, Deluxe Super Suite house either four (4) or five (5) residents)
  • Total number of credit hours (includes all group members).

What do I do if I change my mind and decided not to live on campus?
Students must be eligible to live off campus and must submit a Request to be Released from the On-Campus Boarding Policy/Residential Student Agreement along with any required documentation to the Office of Housing and Residential Life, Heth Hall Rm. 226.  Incomplete requests will not be considered.

FAQs about tripled rooms

All incoming freshmen who apply to live on-campus by application deadlines are guaranteed housing. However, because of the heavy demand for on-campus housing, it is necessary for the University to initially assign some students to extended housing (triples). Assignment in a tripled room is intended to be a temporary arrangement. Students in tripled rooms will be offered a permanent space based on availability and the student’s priority (based on deposit date) as soon as permanent spaces are identified.

We consider all three students in a tripled room as permanent residents, so no one student is regarded as the "extra" person. Historically, most students assigned to an extended housing room are offered a permanent space before the end of the Fall Semester.  However, there have been years when we have ended the Fall semester with students still in triple rooms.

Will I receive a financial rebate if I am in a tripled room?
Students who are tripled will each receive a 25% discount off the cost of their room for each week that they are in a temporary triple. This credit is posted to each student’s account at the end of the semester.

What are some resources for students in tripled rooms?
In an effort to assist tripled students through this experience, they will receive information with their room assignment before arriving on campus. Students will be given detailed information about what to expect as part of a tripled room, applicable rebates, furniture removal if one person moves, and how to get along with multiple roommates. Certain programming within the residence halls is tailored for students living in extended housing. This programming is designed to take a proactive approach, with in-hall activities that support and educate residents on how to maximize their extended housing living experience. In addition, Housing and Residential Life staff are always available to help mediate any issues that may arise. Spaces have been identified in each of the buildings for “quiet study” to ensure that residents have a quiet, comfortable place to focus on their academics.

What is the "de-tripling" process?
Housing and Residential Life staff in each building work with our assignments coordinator to facilitate the de-tripling process. As a result, it is important that tripled students keep in touch with their Resident Assistant, Resident Director, and Area Director if there are problems. Students in tripled rooms will be given priority for vacancies in the building where they reside. Students may request to remain in their building or be assigned to another building if spaces are available. We use deposit date as the main factor in determining priority for the de-tripling process.

Who's assigned to these rooms? Why were these students chosen?
Any student could be assigned to a tripled room.  We designate rooms in all buildings based on demand. 

How long will I be assigned to a triple room?
Our first priority will be to get all students moved to a permanent space as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we can only go as fast as when spaces become available. Historically, most students assigned to an extended housing room are offered a permanent space before the end of the Fall Semester. However, there have been years when we have ended the Fall semester with students in triple rooms.

What extra furniture is in a triple room?
There are three beds -- two of which are bunked -- two desks, and two chairs. All three roommates share the two wardrobes/closets and dressers. It is important that furniture is equally shared by all roommates. Resident Assistants can assist in determining the equal distribution of all furniture to ensure that all residents have fair access to the space. No additional furniture is available for the room. Students are also welcome to request a bed loft. Until de-tripled, we can only allow one loft per room.

Are there any restrictions on setting up my triple (or quad)?
Yes, furniture should remain on the floor. Elevating furniture on bricks or blocks, other furniture or other structures could lead to problems with stability and personal safety or damage to personal or University property.

Also for safety reasons, please:

  • Do not place beds on tops of dressers, desks, multiple layers of cinder blocks, any slippery surface or any type of structural support not provided by the University.
  • Do not bring or construct lofts, partitions or any other structure.
  • Do not purchase or rent bed lofts.
  • Do not bring cinder blocks.
  • Do not use extension cords [instead of extension cords, bring UL/CSA approved power strips equipped with Integrated Circuit Breakers (over-current shut off protector)].
  • Do not block windows or heating convectors.

How will vacancies be offered?
Housing and Residential Life staff in each building works with our assignments coordinator to facilitate the de-tripling process. As a result, it is important that tripled students keep in touch with their Resident Assistant, Resident Director and Area Director if there are problems. We use deposit date as the main factor in determining priority for the de-tripling process. 

Will the furniture be removed when one of the roommates is reassigned?
Yes. Staff will work as quickly as possible to remove the additional bed. 

Is one student designated to have the specific furniture?
All three roommates should talk about how to share the furniture and space. For example, one roommate may not like the top bunk. It is important that furniture is equally shared by all roommates. Resident Assistants can assist in determining the equal distribution of all furniture to ensure that all residents have fair access to the space. Planning this in advance by talking with roommates will start your experience smoothly. Students with questions or concerns can speak with their Resident Assistant.

What should I do if I am the first person to arrive in the room?
As mentioned above, the extended furniture should be divided equally. No one student should have the advantage over his/her roommates. For example, one student should take the top bunk, and one student should share both closets and dressers. It is a good idea to wait until all roommates have arrived before beds and furniture are set up.

Can we move the furniture around?
Most of the furniture can be moved to suit the needs and creativity of the residents of that room, provided it does not block the path of egress in the room. Also, consider where the internet, electrical outlets, and cable connections are located when rearranging furniture. Students are also welcome to request a bed loft, and one bed loft per room will be allowed until the room has been permanently de-tripled.

Are there three Ethernet connections?
There are multiple Ethernet connections in all rooms and all of our residence halls are set up for wireless networking. In some rooms an extra-long Ethernet cable may be necessary. Since not all connections are in the same location, it is not possible to give all residents the exact locations of the connections. We have found that fewer and fewer students use an Ethernet connection as a wireless connection is readily available

Won't it be cramped in the room with all that furniture?
Room set-up will be tight, although the rooms were evaluated before their conversion to triples as to how well furnishings would fit in the available space. Storage space is limited to the closet or closets and under the beds. There are not storage rooms elsewhere on the floor or in the building.

Here are some creative, yet safe ways of arranging furnishings in order to save space and maximize the amount of open floor space:

  • Bring shelving units that stand on the floor or in the upper part of your closet
  • Bunk an unbunked bed or elevate it on hard plastic bed risers (no cinder blocks)
  • Make an 'L' formation with two beds, or dressers or desks
  • Use your refrigerator as a nightstand
  • Make use of all flat surfaces (tops of desks, dressers, refrigerators, etc.)
  • Bring storage drawers or boxes that fit under your bed (10" clearance if not elevated)
  • Move dresser or shelves into your closet
  • Hang a shoe organizer inside your closet

Each student should restrict the items he/she brings to campus, particularly by leaving least essential items (e.g., winter clothing) at home. A practical rule of thumb would be to restrict your possessions to what fits in/on your desk, dresser and one-third of a small closet. Hanging space for clothing will be particularly limited. Roommates are strongly encouraged to speak with one another prior to move-in day and to ensure that unnecessary duplications (e.g. TV, stereo, fan, refrigerator, curtains) are avoided. Families who travel to campus for move-in day should plan to take back home with them items such as empty trunks and suitcases. 

How will I be notified when my room is de-tripled?
All three students will be notified via email that there room is being de-tripled. The student who will be moving will coordinate the move to their permanent location with their Resident Director.

Can we decide to stay permanently tripled?
Yes! Each year we have a number of rooms that decided to stay permanently tripled because they enjoyed living together. All three roommates would need to sign a “permanent triple agreement” and return it to our office. Students who form a permanent triple will continue to receive the room discount until all rooms for that gender have been de-tripled. 

I'm worried my grades might suffer because I have extra roommates. Does that happen to students in triples?
That does not happen in our experience at Radford University and not according to a number of national research studies done over the years. Per a review of six studies by John Foubert, the research has concluded that academic performance does not suffer when students are in tripled rooms and that grade point averages are no different for these students than for others in residence halls. Studies also show that being tripled does not affect students' adjustment to college life and that tripled students are as likely as others to participate in student organizations and to report satisfaction with their academic and social experiences. 

On the negative side, studies also show that tripled students are less satisfied with their living space, privacy and perceived control over room activity than are students in standard doubles. Tripled students are less satisfied with their roommates and spend less time in their rooms than do students in standard doubles.

Why isn't more housing being built at the university?
Radford University has been systematically renovating all of its current residence halls. Renovations to Madison, Jefferson, Moffett, Washington, Pocahontas, Bolling and Draper have been completed. Plans are being formulated to address potential renovations to Muse Hall. Each of these renovation projects have taken rooms off-line during construction periods. Radford University is in the process of updating the facilities master plan to assess the need to build future housing and to explore other methods of adding more housing. 

What is the difference between a temporary triple and a three capacity room?
A triple is a temporary assignment where three people are living in a space that normally houses two people. A three capacity room was designed and built for three residents. A three capacity room is much larger, and is not part of the temporary housing. Three capacity rooms do not get de-tripled.

FAQs about room features

What furniture is provided in the room?

  • Rooms are furnished with two beds, two desks and chairs, a double dresser, and window blinds. 
  • A cable-ready television outlet, telephone jack and at least two ethernet computer hookups are also supplied. Our halls also have wireless network access. 
  • This page has detailed information about furniture in each room.

What size sheets do I need to bring?
We recommend that everyone bring extra-long twin sheets (sometimes sold as "college size"). Our mattresses are longer than traditional twin mattresses so these tend to fit the best, especially if you have egg-crate or other padding on your bed. You can find long linens in many stores or you can order them through the university-sponsored College Linens Program. They offer over 40 color combinations of high quality linens and accessories. Plus, some of the proceeds are used to support the Residence Hall Association and programming in the residence halls.

How do I request a loft or to have my beds bunked?
All beds in the residence halls can be lofted or bunked. Any bed requests should be listed on the housing application by June 1.

I am 6'3" tall, how do I request an extra-long mattress?
All of our residence halls are furnished with extra-long beds. Students over 6' 2" tall living in these buildings may request that an extra-long bed be placed in their room during the online application process, and we'll make sure have an extra-long mattress in your room when you arrive.

How much furniture is provided in the room?
Rooms are furnished with two beds, two desks and chairs, a double dresser, and window blinds. A cable-ready television outlet, telephone jack and at least two ethernet computer hookups are also supplied. Our halls also have wireless network access. This page has detailed information about furniture in each room.

What are the dimensions of my room?
Room sizes vary but a 10'x15' carpet will fit into all of our residence hall rooms.

What is the benefit of purchasing the carpet from the university vendor versus somewhere else? 
The carpet provided through the website is from a trusted vendor who works with the university. It is quality carpet, fits appropriately in the rooms, and will be in the room when you arrive to minimize hassle on move in day!  In case you want to bring your own carpet, our rooms will accommodate up to 10'x15'.

Does my room have air conditioning?
All residence halls except Muse are air conditioned.

Can I bring an air conditioner from home?
No. Window and portable air units are not allowed in the residence halls. If your building is not air conditioned, we recommend you bring a fan to keep the air circulating.

Do the rooms have curtains? Can I bring my own?
Fire code forbids students from hanging curtains in their rooms. You can hang a valance if you wish (maximum 8" long). You can find more information about curtains and window decorations by viewing our What to bring page.

Can I bring my own furniture from home?
Yes, but realize that space is limited so you should talk to your roommate first. Also, the university will not remove any furniture that comes with your room. So, you'll need to find space for it, too.

FAQs about roommates

Roommate requests and assignments

How are roommates assigned to each other?
Residents who choose not to request a roommate are assigned randomly. Additional details about room assignments.

I do not have a roommate request. How will a roommate be selected for me?
Most students do not have a specific roommate preference when they come to Radford University. If you do not preference a specific person, a person will be placed randomly with you based on some of your answers to the Roommate Matching Questionnaire located on the online housing application.

I would like to request a roommate. How do I do this?
Students may indicate their requested roommate on the Requested Roommate page of the online housing application. Please use the numeric nine digit student identification number of your requested roommate in the indicated area. New students may edit this information after they have submitted their application until 5 p.m. on July 1, 2019. Requests must be mutual from both students and submitted by the required deadline for consideration.

I know someone from my high school who is going to Radford University this fall. Is it a good idea for us to select each other as roommates?
The answer to this question depends on the set of roommates. Many times, people choose someone who is familiar, but not really known well, because it provides a sense of security. If you are considering selecting a roommate, please make sure you ask questions in depth about his or her personal habits. These are the most important factors for roommate success. For example, two people may describe themselves as “morning people.” However, a person who wakes at 6 a.m. daily has a different perspective than the person who considers 10 a.m. early.

My best friend from high school and I want to be roommates. Does that seem like a good idea?
Certainly, choosing a friend as a roommate can be a comfort when you are moving to a new situation. Radford University offers you the opportunity to meet people and make friends with people from around the world. When you are in college, you will see that people can change in ways you never anticipate. Friends often learn they have similar interests but they do not live well together because of differing study, cleanliness or social habits. Students living in different halls provide a place to go when you need some time away from your room and can help your friendship.

If my roommate and I have different dates for our housing deposit, how does the room assignment process happen?
All housing assignments are done with regard to dates of housing deposit. For roommates, the person with the later date of deposit will be used to determine your order in the housing assignments. We believe that students who have requested specific roommates are more concerned with who they live with than the location of their room. In some cases, this means that the later date of deposit will mean that a person will not get a first choice, such as a Living Learning Community, that they would have gotten on their own. Therefore, students interested in living in a Living Learning Community should indicate if the Living Learning Community is more important than their requested roommate in the Living Learning Community interest page of the online housing application.

If my roommate and I do not get along, can we switch rooms?
It is possible to change rooms on campus, with certain limitations. In order to complete all our administrative processes, we are not able to accept housing preferences after 5 p.m. on July 1, 2019.  Room changes may not occur until after the first two weeks of school. From July 1, 2019 until the end of the second week of classes, we are in an intensive process of verifying and sharing data. Therefore, we are unable to make any changes until the end of the second week of classes. At that time, our priority is to move students out of tripled rooms. We encourage students to work together to make the most of their living arrangements. Room changes are possible, but they are dependent on available space and timing considerations.

If I do not have a mutual roommate request, will I be placed with another new student?
In most cases, we do pair new students together. However, space considerations can mean that some new students are placed with returning students. Our goal is to place people together with similar class ranking (such as a new student with a sophomore). No matter their placements, new students will live in a building with other new students who are going through similar transitions.

How do I search for and contact a possible roommate?
Students may answer the questions on the Roommate Matching Questionnaire. After you have completed and submitted your online application you should see this link, “Find a Roommate”. You may answer one to three questions and enter search. This search should bring up the first names and answers of possible roommate matches. You may email the student and get responses back in the “My Messages” area of the application page.

Communicating with roommates

How do I know what items my roommate will bring to campus? 
You should contact your roommate and ask. While email is nice, a phone conversation is much quicker and is typically more productive.

Should I contact my roommate before moving to Radford University?
Yes. We provide you with each other's contact information the first week of August so you can get in touch before moving in. Remember, you'll be living with this person in a small space so you want to start off on the right foot.

Should I check out my roommate on Facebook, Twitter, etc.?
Social networking sites are a great way to interact with people but they don't tell the whole story about a person. Don't judge or make assumptions about your roommate based solely on their online persona. You should contact him or her directly.

I already know that my roommate and I won't get along. Can I move to another room?
How do you know for sure? Don't be so quick to judge your roommate. There is a freeze on switching rooms for the first two weeks of the semester so try to work it out. If you are both having issues once you've moved in talk to your RA. Your RA is the first step in resolving roommate conflicts.

Do I have to share a bathroom with someone other than my roommate?
Ingles, Madison, Moffett, Jefferson, Norwood, Washington, Draper, Bolling, and Pocahontas Halls have private bathrooms in each room. All other halls are suite-style, with two rooms sharing one bathroom.

My roommate says that (s)he is messy. I am neat. Will this work?
Living with someone requires open communication and compromise. If you are concerned, talk to your roommate when you both move in and establish mutual expectations for cleanliness. Your RA will help you with this process.

My roommate won't respond to my emails. What should I do?
Some people have limited email access during the summer or have junk mail filters which prevent them from responding or receiving your emails. Call them on the phone. If you still cannot get a hold of them, let us know and we can help.

How do I make sure that my roommate and I will get along?
Keep an open mind and communicate your concerns if you have any. Your RA is a great resource if the two of you aren't getting along. It's important to remember that not all roommates become "best friends" but can have a great year living together.

FAQs about what to bring

Can I bring my own furniture?
Yes, but realize that space is limited so you should talk to your roommate first. Also, the university will not remove any furniture that comes with your room. So, you'll need to find space for it, too.

Can I bring a microwave?
In most cases, yes. Microwaves must be 700 watts or less and are allowed in all halls except Muse Hall. The university does allow students to have microfridges in all residence halls, including Muse Hall, as they are designed for residence hall use and are safe for older electrical systems.

Can I bring a refrigerator with me? What size should I bring?
Yes. Refrigerators should be 2 amps or less and not greater than 3 cubic ft. (e.g., don't bring a fridge that belongs in your kitchen at home). Each resident may have a refrigerator.

Can I bring a toaster oven or Foreman Grill?
No. Toasters, grills and hotplates are not allowed in the residence halls. Every hall has at least one full kitchen with a stove for residents to use for cooking.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
Only fish, aquatic turtles, and frogs that live underwater permanently are allowed in the residence halls.

I participate in shooting sports (hunting, skeet, etc.). Can I bring a firearm with me to campus?
Yes, but all firearms must be stored in the RU Police Department gun safe. They will NOT store ammunition, however. Ammunition and firearms are forbidden in the residence halls and on campus. So, you must make arrangements to store ammunition off-campus with a friend or at an off-site storage area. Contact the RU Police Department to make arrangements to have your firearm(s) stored. Space is limited and stored on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact the RU Police Department BEFORE coming to campus.

I am 21 years old. Can I have alcohol in my room?
No. RU's residence halls are dry. Residents cannot possess nor consume alcohol in the residence halls regardless of age. Alcohol containers used as decoration (sometimes called "trophy bottles") are also not allowed.

Am I allowed to decorate my walls with posters?
Yes, but fire code only allows 10% of walls to be covered with posters and other combustible or  flammable materials. Residents should consider other ways of decorating such as using shelving.

FAQs about staff

When will I meet my Resident Assistant (RA)?
Resident Assistants will be handling the check-in process during move-in and will be walking around the halls to meet their residents throughout the day. Chances are you will meet them when you check in or as you are unpacking your room.

How many RAs will be on my floor?
The number of RAs on each floor will vary depending on the building. RAs typically are responsible for 30 - 50 residents.

How do I become an RA?
We begin our RA selection process during the Spring semester. Keep your eyes open for advertisements or ask your RA for information.

If I am having an issue with my RA, with whom should I speak?
Each building is managed by a Resident Director or Area Coordinator to whom the RAs report. Resident Directors are full-time professionals who have residential life and student development expertise and live in the building. Any concerns about an RA should referred to the Resident Director/Area Coordinator of your building.

What is a Resident Director (RD) and what do they do?
Resident Directors are full-time professionals who are responsible for one or more residence halls or apartment areas managed by the university. RDs supervise the RAs, oversee the administration of the residential area, promote student development, and provide resources. They are responsible for the overall well-being of their residential community.

What is an Assistant Director and what do they do?
There are three Assistant Directors in the department. They are full-time professionals with Master's degrees and significant residential life experience. They are each responsible for an assigned portion of the campus, supervise the RDs from those areas, and also oversee large-scale processes within the department.

I have a question about my assignment. To whom do I speak?
Call or email us at the central office and we can help you out. Our email address is res-life@radford.edu, our phone number is 540-831-5375.