What to bring

Please use the links below for further information on what to bring for on-campus housing.

Personalizing your living space

Furniture dimensions and information

Rooms are furnished with two beds, two desks and chairs, a double dresser and window blinds. A cable-ready television jack, telephone jack (in-room, local telephone service is optional) and at least two Ethernet computer jacks are also supplied.

On the furniture dimensions page we provide the dimensions and a summary of the types of furniture you can generally expect when you arrive on campus in the fall.

Bunking, lofting and elevating beds

Students will be able to loft their beds with a limited number of Radford provided lofting kits.

To maximize space, students may have lofts in most buildings. All lofts must meet the university’s approval and must be able to incorporate the university provided springs and mattress. The beds in all residence halls are loft-able, therefore no personal lofts are allowed on campus.

Students may choose to elevate their bed to create more storage space in the room using bed lifts commonly found in stores and the university bookstore. Cinder blocks may not be used to elevate beds due to safety concerns and increased wear and tear on furniture and room floors. Students who have lofted or bunked their beds may NOT elevate them in any way.

Extra-long linens & bedding information

All rooms have extra-long mattresses so students need to be sure to purchase extra long (sometimes called, "college sized") linens.

Mattress size

All residence halls have extra-long mattresses (36” x 80”).

Recommended sheet size

Bringing sheets that are extra long is the best idea, regardless of the bed length. Many students bring egg crate foam mattress pads and mattress covers to make their beds more comfortable. Extra long sheets can accommodate the extra thickness of these items with the slick surface of the mattress.

Where to find extra-long bedding

Many department stores sell extra long (sometimes called college size) linens that will fit our mattresses.

The Residence Hall Association has found a convenient, affordable way to ensure you can find extra long bedding. The Residence Hall Linens program has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Free shipping is available on all Value Pak orders, and there are more than 40 color combinations to choose from. Proceeds from this program go to the RHA and are used for programming in the residence halls at Radford.

Bringing your own mattress

You can bring a twin-size mattress if you would like. Some students use the university mattress like a box spring and add a mattress on top. The Radford University mattress must stay in the room.


Rooms at Radford University are not carpeted. Carpets are permitted in the students' rooms. Room size varies, but most rooms will accommodate a 10' x 15' carpet. 

Window and room decorations

Students are encouraged to personalize their rooms. Please keep in mind that rooms must be left in the same condition as when first occupied. Students are not allowed to use nails or tacks to attach posters, pictures, etc. to the walls or molding. Any use of tape or adhesive putty is at your own risk, and you will be held responsible if wall damage or discoloration occurs. Many of our students find that 3M Command Strips work very well for hanging items like posters and photographs.

Decorating walls

Radford University values the safety of all our residents. Therefore, we adhere to the International Fire Safety codes, as interpreted by the State Fire Marshal. This code states that not more than 10 percent of the walls in student rooms may be covered by combustible and/or flammable items. In most cases, this allows 12 square feet to be covered on each of the long, side walls of the room and eight square feet on the wall with a window; six square feet can be covered on the walls opposing the window wall. We encourage you to choose your decorations carefully. Shelving units can be a good method for displaying pictures and other mementos in your room.

Decorating ceilings

According to International Fire Safety codes, nothing can be suspended from or attached to the ceilings, light fixtures, and any fire safety equipment. Therefore, items including glow-in-the-dark stars cannot be placed on the ceiling.

Displaying pictures and other items

While the 10 percent wall coverage rule presents some initial difficulties, there are some clever ways to still display your favorite items. For example, shelving units can be a fairly inexpensive way to display many frames and knickknacks. Folding screens or picture collages can be another way to show pictures in a condensed manner.

Hanging decorations

Students should be thoughtful when hanging items on the wall. For example, duct tape is always a bad choice because it damages the walls.  Adhesive wall putty discolors walls, and double sided foam tape does not remove neatly or easily. Many students recommend using the 3M Command Adhesive products as a way to hang items on the wall; it is still important to use this correctly and gingerly to prevent damage. Nails and tacks cannot be placed in the walls because of the damage they cause. Please note that all residents are responsible for the condition of their room and will be held financially accountable for the damages they cause; suitemates will be held responsible for damages found in common areas.


Working to provide you with a safer living environment, Radford University follows the International Fire Safety codes adopted by the Virginia Commonwealth in 2009. According to these codes, only curtains permitted in the rooms are those that are flame retardant, as shown on the manufacturer’s label on the curtains. Please see the next item to learn about valances as another option for the window.

Window valances

A window valance is a decorative piece of fabric (not more than 8 inches in height) that hangs at the top of the window and is designed to hide the mechanical workings of the horizontal blinds. Valances do not need to be flame retardant as long as their length is no more than 8 inches. Given the construction of our windows, we suggest that you use a tension rod to hang the valance.

Holiday lights

Holiday and rope lights are permitted in the residence halls and are popular with many students. Remaining consistent with the lights manufacturer’s UL listing, up to two strands can be linked together and plugged into the wall.

Beaded curtains

Beaded curtains are permitted in the residence halls, but cannot be placed on the doors leading to the main hallway corridor. For your safety, the beaded curtain and similar items need to be hung in such a manner that they do not prevent occupants from seeing the main door. For example, if you hung a beaded curtain in the area where the room connects to the main hallway corridor, room occupants would need to be able to clearly see the corridor door. Please remember that items cannot be attached to any ceilings.

Suggested packing list

Below is the suggested packing list [PDF] provided by Housing and Residential Life.  Be sure to connect with your roommate before packing any shared items, or bring only the essentials and plan a shopping trip to purchase shared items after you have arrived.

Needed items NOT provided by Radford University

  • Shower curtains
  • Hooks/rings for shower curtains
  • Trash cans
  • Cleaning supplies (cleaning solutions/wipes, brooms, vacuums, dusters, etc.)
  • Ironing boards and irons
  • Linens
  • Coaxial cable cords
  • Ethernet cords
  • Lamps
  • Hangers 

Prohibited items to leave at home

Please note this list may not be comprehensive of everything not permitted but includes the most commonly found prohibited items. Review the Standards of Student Conduct and Residence Hall Policies for more details.

  • Extension cords 
  • Multi-plug adapters 
  • Candles with wicks 
  • Incense 
  • Items with open flames 
  • Hot plates 
  • George Foreman grills 
  • Toasters
  • Air fryers
  • Curtains (unless labeled fire retardant) 
  • Pets (fish allowed only) 
  • Flammable liquids (gasoline, oil, etc.) 
  • Weapons and amunition
  • Bed risers with outlets 
  • Hover boards 
  • Over-door hangers/mirrors 
  • Colored hanging putty & tacs/nails to hang items on the wall (we recommend using painters tape)

Items to bring


  • Towels 
  • Hangers 
  • Laundry bag/basket 
  • Laundry detergent and fabric softener 
  • Stain remover 
  • Pillows 
  • Iron and ironing board 
  • Fan 
  • Alarm clock 
  • Egg crate foam mattress pad 
  • Bedside lamp 
  • Sewing kit
  • Blankets 
  • Comforter 
  • Sheets and pillow cases (extra-long twin sized sheets) 
  • Trash can 
  • Cleaning supplies 
  • Desk/bedside lamp 
  • Storage bins 
  • Basic tool kit 
  • Poster adhesive (we recommend painters tape) 
  • Batteries 
  • Flashlight

Many students will bring a refrigerator and microwave. Keep in mind refrigerators must draw two amps or less and microwaves must be rated as 700 watts or less. Stand-alone microwaves are not permitted in Muse Hall. Microfridges (combination microwave/refrigerator) are permitted in every residence hall (including Muse) and can be rented by contacting Melvin Corp. at 1-800-525-7307.

School supplies

You may want to wait to purchase school supplies until you know what is needed for classes/assignments.

  • Pens and pencils 
  • Post-it notes 
  • Printer paper and ink 
  • Ruler and scissors 
  • Stapler and staples E
  • External hard drive to back up your data
  • Dry erase board/calendar 
  • Desk lamp 
  • Flash drive 
  • Highlighters and index cards 
  • Labels 
  • Notebooks, folders, paperclips, rubberbands


  • Printer (LAN only - no Wifi/wireless printing is allowed in student rooms)
  • Surge protector(s) 
  • Cell phone charger 
  • Computer/laptop 
  • Lock for your computer/laptop
  • Ethernet cable 
  • TV/DVD player 
  • Coaxial cable for TV 
  • Converter box if TV doesn’t have Clear QAM tuner

Personal hygiene items

  • Soap 
  • Toiletries 
  • Prescription medications 
  • Basic first-aid kit
  • Shower tote 
  • Cosmetics 
  • Personal hygiene items

Basic healthcare kit

If you're going to the store and have not already thought of these items, please consider purchasing:

  • Bottled water
  • Protein/meal replacement bars
  • Thermometer
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Acetaminophen (or some other fever reducer)
  • Cold/sinus medication
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Antibacterial soap
  • Disinfectant wipes/spray
  • Facial tissues

It is wise for every student to create a basic health care kit, and the items listed above are some that we believe are important. Please consider having these items on hand to start your own basic healthcare kit.


Refrigerators and microwaves

Each student in a room may bring a small fridge that uses two or less amps are permitted in all residence hall rooms. Department stores offer a wide variety of options.

Microwaves are permitted in all residence halls except Muse Hall which does not have the electrical system to support this option. Muse Hall residents may, however, rent a microfridge unit as these are designed for use in residence halls.

In designated locations, roommates may choose to either rent a microfridge or have one microwave that is 700 watts or less, and one fridge that is two amps or less per room. So that all residents can enjoy the convenience of having a microwave in their room, the university has partnered with Melvin Corporation to provide residents with the option to rent a Microfridge while living in the halls. Microfridges are approved for use in all residence halls including Muse. Order your microfridge from Melvin Corporation or call Melvin Corporation at 1-800-525-7307. 

In addition, public microwaves are available in each residence hall for students to use.

Toaster/toaster oven

Because of fire safety regulations, toasters and toaster ovens are not permitted in any of the residence halls.

Prohibited appliances

Any item that has a hot surface (candle warmers, hot plates, Foreman grills, etc.), toasters, toaster ovens, or anything utilizing an open flame are strictly forbidden.

Residence hall kitchens

Each residence hall has at least one kitchen that residents can use. Kitchens are equipped with a range top, oven, and refrigerator. As long as the spaces are used responsibly, the kitchens are available to all residents. We recommend that students bring simple cookware if they are interested in cooking.


Laundry rooms are available in each residence hall. They can be just down the hall or a quick elevator ride away.

Most laundry machines accept coins for laundry. RU Express on your student ID can be used for the laundry machines in each residence hall. Quarters make great gifts for college students

Vacuum cleaners

The university does not provide vacuum cleaners for residents. This is a good topic for you to discuss with your roommate to see if one of you are able to bring a simple vacuum cleaner. Having a vacuum cleaner is especially important if you plan to bring a rug.


Students may bring in whatever size aquariums are appropriate for their aquatic turtles, aquatic frogs and animals that live, breath, and eat under water 24 hours a day. Please exercise caution to prevent breakage and damage to the room and your belongings. It is a good idea to talk with your roommate to discuss their placement and care.

Provided services


The university provides basic cable television service. Cable hookup is provided in each room. Both standard and high definition channels are included. The resident needs to supply the TV coaxial cable cord which can be purchased from most discount/department stores or from the bookstore. Some televisions will need to have a "QAM" tuner to be compatible with the digital signal.

E-mail / Internet

All residence halls have active wireless computer connections. The Technology Assistance Center, 540-831-7500, is located on the first floor of Walker Hall. Questions regarding hardware and system requirements should be directed to this department. Email accounts are automatically created for all students upon confirmation of their deposit to Radford University.

Telephone (optional)

A phone jack is provided in each room and students may activate basic telephone service in their rooms for $50.00 per semester. This fee will be billed directly to their student account. Information is available through Student Telephone Services, 540-831-6600.


Radford University is concerned about the long-term impact of refuse on the environment, and is committed to being a model for sustainable campus practices.

Laundry Facilities

Washers and dryers are located in each residence hall (washers: $1.25 per load; dryers $1.25 per load). All machines will accept the RU Express Card. The operating instructions are listed inside the lid of each machine. Ironing boards are located in some halls, but you must provide an iron. Helpful hint: Bring rolls of quarters to save the hassle of finding them on laundry day.

Fire safety

University policy

Community living requires that you consider the importance of fire safety and prevention. A sophisticated fire detection system, located in each of the residence halls, monitors and provides 24-hour fire protection for the building. Fire extinguishers are also located in each hallway for your protection.

Radford University and the Commonwealth of Virginia are concerned with fire safety and  have taken these steps to provide you and your fellow residents with appropriate fire protection. Your cooperation is needed to keep the fire equipment in working order.  As a resident, it is your responsibility to report any fire violations to a staff member.  Refer to the Standards of Student Conduct for more details on fire safety.

The fire equipment located in the residence halls (alarms, extinguishers, sprinkler heads, and hall and room smoke detectors) is provided for use in an emergency. Tampering with this equipment is a serious matter which can result in its ineffectiveness during an emergency. Such tampering will lead to University disciplinary action resulting in suspension/dismissal as well as criminal prosecution! Fires can threaten human life and cause significant damage to property. You must realize the important role that you as a resident play in fire safety.

Radford University Housing and Residential Life staff will also conduct monthly fire and safety inspections in all residence hall rooms and university owned and operated apartments.  These will take place between the 1st and 15th of each month.  Ask your RA or RD if you have any specific questions or concerns. See the Personalizing Your Living Space for a list of items that we recommend you bring and leave at home.   

Setting up your room


Only approved appliances may be used in the residence halls. Be sure to turn off and unplug all appliances immediately after use. Remain in your room when an electrical appliance is in use.

Candles/Open Flames

Candles, with or without wicks, and other open flame objects are not permitted.

Multiple Plug Adapters/Extension Cords

Extension cords are prohibited. ONLY Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) approved power strip (or box) with a built-in circuit breaker and/or reset button is permitted. These strips must not have a cord longer than fifteen feet and should not exceed 15 amps.


To comply with international fire code no more than 10% of room walls and doors can be covered with flammable items.  Also, nothing can be attached to or hanging from the ceiling.  Purchasing shelves to display items is a good way to personalize your room.  Consult your RD for further details on decorations.

Furniture Placement

The narrow corridor that leads to the doorway should not be obstructed in any way to impede the exit from your room.  Neat and orderly items stored to provide egress for  emergency evacuations.

Room smoke detectors

Each residence hall room contains a smoke detector. Residents are not required to test the smoke detectors in these buildings—the system monitors to assure they are working.

Residents of University Operated Apartments at Calhoun Street and Davis Street have battery-operated smoke detectors in their rooms. Virginia state law requires that each battery-operated smoke detector be tested weekly and record the results to ensure it is operating properly. To check the detector, simply press the button on the detector, hold, and wait for alarm to sound. If after 5-10 seconds the alarm does not sound, notify your RA or RD immediately. Ensuring your smoke detector is operating is YOUR responsibility. Failure to report non-functioning detectors may result in judicial action.


Any time a fire alarm sounds, you should always assume that a fire exists! University policy mandates that you  must evacuate the building and remain evacuated until notified by university officials that it is safe to reenter.

As leave your room:

  • Close all windows and door
  • Lock door - wear a coat/shoes
  • Take a towel to place over your face in case of smoke
  • Alert your roommate and suitemates if they have not exited the building
  • Exit the building as calmly and quickly as possible using the nearest safe exit.
  • Proceed to designated area and remain until "All Clear" signal is given
  • If an exit is blocked, proceed to the nearest safe exit. If ALL exits are blocked go back to your room, close the door, and call 5500 (Radford University Police Department) to report your location.

If room exit is blocked:

  • Stay calm
  • Seal cracks around door
  • Open window slightly, if there is no smoke outside
  • Tie a wet cloth over your nose and mouth
  • Stay low where air is fresher
  • Signal rescuers by waving a sheet or clothing out of window
  • Do not jump if you are higher than two stories
  • If your clothing should catch on fire, do not run! Stop, Drop, and Roll to smother flames