Room Assignments Process
New students are assigned to available spaces based on the date of housing deposit and submitted housing application. While we make every effort to accommodate roommate requests, we do not guarantee you will be paired with your selected roommate. We recommend waiting until you have your official assignment notification before purchasing shared items, or save your receipts in case you need to return items perviously purchased.
Currently Enrolled Students
Currently enrolled students are eligible to apply via the Priorty Housing Application. Students who submit a Priority Housing Application by the deadline are able to apply for an apartment, residence hall penthouse unit or residence hall super suite and are eligible to choose their residence hall room. Students will be selected for apartments and residence hall penthouses and super suties before online room selection.
Students who wish to apply for apartments, residence hall penthouse, or super suite units must have submitted their deposit and Priority Housing Application by the deadline. While we allow for a small number of spaces in apartments for individual students, however, most units are filled by roommate groups.
Apartment, penthouse, and super suite units are assigned based on the following criteria:
- Date of housing deposit and submitted housing application
- Ability to fill a unit
- Total group credit hours
Adding or removing a member of your group could change your priorty on the list. All group members must have submitted a housing deposit and housing application by the priority deadline to be eligible.
Students selected for apartments will be notified via an email to their @radford.edu account.
Students selected for apartments must complete and return the Apartment Addendum to the Residential Student Agreement by the submission deadline or they forfeit the unit and it will be assigned to the next student/group on the waiting list.
Online Room Selection:
- Students who wish to select a room in a residence hall must submit a housing deposit and housing application by the priority housing deadline.
- Selection occurrs in the order of housing deposit and submitted housing application.
- Students will be sent an email (@radford.edu) with the time when they can begin to look for and select a room.
- If an entire room is open, one roommate may place their confirmed roommate in that room with them.
- Both students must have a completed application by the priority deadline and confirm their roommate selection via the application process.
- If you did not receive room assignment confirmation from our office, you were not successful in selecting your room.
- Please contact email@example.com | 540-831-5375 if you have questions or need assistance.
Currently enrolled students who apply after the priority application deadline will be allocated to rooms in the residence halls by Housing and Residential Life.
1. How are room assignments made?
Room assignments for new students entering in the fall are made according to the date the deposit to the University is received. Students indicating interest in Learning Community Housing (see #2 below) may not necessarily be assigned according to deposit date. Some students make their deposit to the University as early as January. When possible, we try to assigned students to their stated quad preferences. However, due to space limitations students may not be placed in their preferred quad. Most students, however, enjoy and thrive in their residence halls no matter where they live on campus.
2. How do I apply for Priority Placement into one of the Themed Housing Communities?
Themed Housing Communities offer you the opportunity to live with other students with similar interests. These residence halls have specific majors and/or participation in academic programs. You can apply to live in one of the Themed learning Communities by completing and submitting the Themed Housing Interest Page on the online application. Space is limited so you are encouraged to apply soon for maximum consideration.
3. How can I indicate my preference for a specific building?
As a new student to RU, you are able to select between buildings that do not have air conditioning and buildings that do. Returning students who apply by the priority deadline are able to choose their own rooms.
4. Where are the residence hall quads located?
Muse Quad contains five residential communities within the same building, making it the most popular location for new students. Main Quad includes Jefferson, Norwood, Madison, Tyler, and Washington Halls. Moffett Quad includes Bolling, Draper, Moffett, and Pocahontas Halls. Governor’s Quad includes Floyd, Peery, Stuart, and Trinkle Halls. See a map of campus.
5. I would like to request a roommate. How do I do this?
To request a specific person as a roommate, you will both need to put your requested roommates nine digit Student ID number on the online application where specified. All requests must be mutual, and received in the Office of Residential Life by 5 p.m. on July 1, 2013 for consideration. When requests are mutual and submitted by 5 p.m. on July 1, 2013 you will be placed with your requested roommate.
6. My prospective roommate and I selected different housing preferences. How will our assignment be determined?
We will honor your mutual roommate request above all other requests unless you notify us otherwise.
7. My prospective roommate and I have different dates for our deposits to the university, how does the room assignment process occur?
All housing assignments are done with regard to when the University receives students’ deposits. For roommates the person with the later date of deposit will be used to determine your order in the housing assignments process. We believe that students consider who their roommates are as being more important than the locations of their rooms. In some cases, this means that the later date of deposit will result in a person not getting a first choice, such as a Themed Living Community. Therefore, if your building placement is more important than your indicated roommate you will need to indicate this on your online application under the themed housing section on or before 5 p.m. July 1, 2013. Unless you indicate otherwise, we will operate on the understanding that your roommate preference takes priority over your indicated housing preferences.
8. When is the last day to edit my application?
All changes to your housing preferences must be made online on or before 5 p.m. June 1.
9. If all the halls are smoke-free, why do you ask my smoking preferences?
All residence halls are smoke-free living environments, and smoking must be done at least 25 feet from the residence halls. We ask students to confidentially tell us their smoking habits due to the high number of people who dislike or are allergic to the smoke which clings to clothing after smoking. Your honesty will help us make better placements.
10. When will I know my hall and room placement for the fall?
New students will be notified by email the first week of August of your room assignment, phone number, post office box number. At that time, you will also receive the name and contact information of your future roommate. Your placement email will be sent to your RU email account, so please be sure to check it!
Returning students will be notified by the end of spring semester.