Welcome to Housing and Residential Life at Radford University!
Welcome to Radford University Housing and Residential Life! We are a real, reactive, and resilient team here to support our students learning and growth on campus.
A students’ residence is one of the most impactful and memorable parts of their university experience. Our student and professional staff members strive to create safe, engaging, and supportive communities that are conducive to students’ learning and growth. Our Residential Curriculum, Living Learning Communities (LLCs), and Residential Life policies are tools we use to support this mission and align the efforts of our department with the University’s broader academic mission. Additionally we have staff in the residence halls to support those efforts and address community concerns: Resident Assistants (RAs), current students who live in the communities, and Resident Directors (RDs), professional staff members who supervise RAs and coordinate responses to community concerns. We also hope our students get involved as Residence Hall Association (RHA) and National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) members; and students in their second year may be RAs. For these reasons, we require first and second year students to live in University operated housing. We aim to provide newer students with the support needed to develop the skills and habits necessary to succeed during and after their time at Radford University.
Moving onto campus means that you may share a room, suite, super suite, or apartment with another person, in addition to having neighbors. For some of students, this may be the first time you are sharing living space with someone other than family. It is important to demonstrate flexibility, understanding, and empathy as you negotiate the different expectations you may have for your space. Learning to share your space with others and how to be a good neighbor may be one of the most important lessons in life.
While we hope you find our website informative and helpful, we understand that we can’t answer every question here. If you have any remaining questions about living on campus, please contact our knowledgeable staff. We look forward to meeting you at move-in!
Through a curricular approach, our mission is to support students by cultivating dynamic communities that facilitate their personal growth and academic success.
We envision a residential community of leaders and citizens engaged in transformative learning experiences.
We value people and the connectedness of our community. With care and thoughtfulness, we...
- Recognize the humanity of others and the importance of their well-being.
- Strive to build mutual trust and to maintain authentic relationships that create a stronger sense of place for Radford students and our team.
- Embrace partnership and collaboration as foundational to our work and essential for achieving our mission.
We strive to embody the qualities of a learning organization. As a result, we...
- Embrace all learning and professional growth opportunities for our staff
- Partner with students, faculty, staff, and the broader Radford community to enhance learning in our residential communities.
- Work to maintain open communication and dialogue to better understand community members and their needs to connect people with appropriate resources.
Recognizing that everyone has a unique lived experience, we value and affirm all aspects of a person’s identity, invite all voices to the table, and advocate not only for accessibility but also equity. Further, we are committed to creating opportunities for individuals to deepen their awareness and expand their worldview through engaging in the respectful exchange of ideas.
We strive to provide an exceptional experience for students, their families, and university partners. As a result, we value
- Timely and ongoing communication of information.
- Positivity and active listening as work toward resolutions.
- Receiving feedback in order that we may improve processes, programs, services, and strengthen relationships.
HRL strives to create a sustainable work environment in which we...
- Use our physical and financial resources according to policies established by Radford University and Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Use technology to support our processes and consistently review them to improve our efficiency.
- See our team members thrive as they meaningfully contribute to our mission.