Radford University utilizes the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program training service for research involving the use of vertebrate animals.
Radford University is required by federal regulations to ensure all personnel involved in the use and/or care of vertebrate animals in research, testing, and teaching, are qualified to perform their duties. Radford faculty, staff, students, and lab techs conducting research involving the use of vertebrate animals at Radford University must complete the required CITI IACUC courses prior to final approval of their IACUC protocol.
Completion of CITI training is verified by the Research Compliance Office for all personnel proposing to work with animals, at the time of protocol submission, continuing review, and when new personnel, including students, are added to the protocol.
CITI IACUC Training Requirements
EVERY STUDENT INVOLVED WITH VERTEBRATE ANIMAL RESEARCH MUST COMPLETE THE REQUIRED IACUC TRAINING.
Access the CITI Training Program at CITIProgram.org and register/create an account. Please do not use your Radford University login credentials (e.g., user name and password) to attempt to log in to CITI.
- If you already have an account in CITI through another institution and are new to Radford University, please access CITI using that account and affiliate your CITI account with Radford University.
- For assistance in creating an account in CITI, please see CITI Program's New User Getting Started tutorial.
- At Step 7 of this tutorial, go to "Question 5. Laboratory Animal Welfare" and select the item "Working with the IACUC Course" is required if you plan to use lab animals in your work."
- Select the Learner Group entitled "Working with the IACUC" and any additional CITI training modules appropriate for the planned work that may be required by the PI. e.g., If the protocol proposes the use of mice or rats, the PI may require the completion of courses such as "Reducing Pain and/or Distress in Laboratory Mice and Rats in Research" or "Working with Rats (or Mice) in Research Settings." Check with your PI regarding any additional CITI courses they may require.
- Complete the IACUC Core Training entitled Working with the IACUC and any additional courses required by the project PI.
- To change your Learner Group once a course has been selected, log in and select "Add a Course or Update Learner Groups", located just below your existing course options.
You are urged to download a PDF or print a Certificate of Completion for each training module for your files and submission to your instructor. Certificates of Completion do not need to be submitted to the IACUC. The IACUC Office will confirm the completion of required courses in the CITI database.
Note: CITI completion certificates are valid for three (3) years.
Occupational Health and Safety Training and Enrollment in the Occupational Health and Safety Program
All personnel involved in research with vertebrate animals are required to enroll in the Occupational Health and Safety Program (OHSP).
OHSP training, information about the program, and required forms to be completed may be found on Radford University's Desire 2 Learn (D2L) platform. Contact EHS to be enrolled in the Occupational Health and Safety Program (OHSP).