Outdoor Programs Position Descriptions
The Outdoor Program relies on the instruction of competent outdoor leaders. Our leaders come from all walks of life with diverse backgrounds, talents, and experiences. We seek individuals who are compassionate, dedicated, self-driven, display common sense, love the outdoors, and have a sense of humor to join our staff. While prior outdoor experience is favorable, it is not a prerequisite for hire. The minimum requirements for hire are:
- Eligible for employment in the Commonwealth of Virginia
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver’s License
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to professionally communicate with clients
- Ability to work within a group and independently
- A desire to both learn and instruct outdoor skills
- Ability to commit to working 3 hours per week (minimum) with occasional weekend and evening hours
- Possess or have the ability to obtain First Aid and CPR certifications within the first semester of employment
- Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Have previously participated on an RU Outdoors Trip
- Have a desire to progress thought the leadership training program to become a Trip Leader.
- Ability to participate and assist on a multitude of weekend trips and trainings as well as commit several hours a week to working in the Outdoor Programs office
If you are interested in working for Outdoor Programs please complete the application. While applications are accepted on a rolling basis, interviews are conducted biannually at the program’s discretion. If any questions, reach out to Assistant Director of Outdoor Programs, Connor Russell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOGISTICS & OPPERATIONS ASSISTANT
If selected to join our staff you will serve as a Front Desk Clerk. In this role you will serve as a customer experience expert answering phone calls, replying to emails, helping with program logistics, initiating equipment rental contracts, registering individuals for programs, as well as cleaning and repairing outdoor equipment. Employees may also have the opportunity to work at the university climbing wall as a monitor.
- Individual employees aspiring to progress into a leadership role have the opportunity to begin the leadership development program as an Apprentice. In this program, employees begin honing technical outdoor skills, mastering inter and intrapersonal personal communication skills, developing risk management strategies, and learning teaching/ educational strategies to effectively facilitate outdoor experiences to groups of participants. Skills and knowledge are assessed using both written assessment and practical skill evaluation. Successful completion of all assessment criteria will result in promotion.
ASSISTANT TRIP LEADER
Individuals holding this title have completed the initial phase of the leadership development program by successfully completing both the written and practical skills evaluations. The job of an Assistant Trip Leader is to assist in trip preparation and logistics as well as program implementation. Assistant Trip Leaders work in conjunction with and under the supervision of a Trip Leader. While performing this role, assistants are gaining valuable field experience and building their knowledge base under the tutelage of more experienced outdoor leaders. Trip Leader candidates must work a minimum of two trips as an Assistant Trip Leader prior to (at their own timeline and discretion) completing the written trip leader assessment and demonstrating competency during a practical field evaluation. Once completed, the final step to becoming a Trip Leader is to successfully certify as a Wilderness First Responder.
Trip Leaders have completed all components of the Leadership Development Program and are required to hold a Wilderness First Responder Certification. Trip Leaders are capable of working autonomously or in conjunction with an Assistant Trip Leader. The role of the Trip leader is to plan and implement all components of a program start to finish. They are the pinnacle of the outdoor leadership program at Radford University.