Each year the Outdoor Program embarks on an expeditionary trip. These trips vary in duration and location. Ranging from 7-14 days and anywhere in the contiguous 48 United States, students form Radford University embark on expeditionary experiential learning trips for many reasons:
- To challenge themselves
- To experience the wilderness
- To find themselves
- To learn backcountry skills
- To renew
Transformational experiences that transcend the physical classroom empower our students to explore the world around them, often in ways not possible outside the benefit of a college setting. Outdoor adventures allow students the opportunity to directly interact with the tangible world that surrounds us and apply these experiences to many lifelong lessons.
Radford University Outdoor Programs is proud to offer scholarships to students interested in participating on one of these trips. Interested candidates should complete the below application form and return it to the Assistant Director for Outdoor Programs via email before the deadline.
Once the deadline passes, applications will be reviewed by a panel of students and professionals from the department. Notification emails will be sent out once decisions are made. Decisions are made based solely on the submitted application materials. The amount and quantity of scholarships issued varies year to year based on available funds.
- May request up to $500 to cover the cost of the trip and required personal equipment
- Should have a financial need
- Should be able to articulate why they are interested in participation and what they hope to gain from the experience
- Recipients of the scholarship are required to submit a presentation of their experience to the Assistant Director for Outdoor Programs within one month of course completion. The presentation should explain/describe the trip, its impact on you as a person, and how you plan to use what you learned. Presentations can be videos, essays, or other creative expressions.
To enquire about our expeditionary trips or the scholarship, please contact the Outdoor Programs office.
The Outdoor Programs Scholarship Fund is supported wholly by individual contributors who find value in the power of expeditionary travel and education. Please consider making a donation and show your continued support for Radford University students and the value of expeditionary experiential education.