Radford University announces Presidential Search Committee
Radford University Board of Visitors Rector Robert A. Archer announced Wednesday, June 2, 2021 the establishment of the Presidential Search Committee charged with seeking and recommending candidates to the Board of Visitors to serve as the University’s eighth president. The national search follows the announcement that current Radford President, Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., will assume the presidency at Old Dominion University effective July 1, 2021. During his five years leading Radford, President Hemphill has positioned the University exceptionally well to continue growth in fundraising, academic reputation and enrollment, as well as in many other critical areas, through innovative leadership.
“Among all the responsibilities of the Board of Visitors, this is the most important one,” said Rector Archer. “We are truly committed to conducting a process that is inclusive of our essential stakeholders. Our expectation is that this process will result in finding the right person to continue to build on Radford’s many historic accomplishments, while fulfilling the mission of the University.”
The 24-member committee will be chaired by Board of Visitors member Susan Whealler Johnston, Ph.D. and co-chaired by Board of Visitors member Jay A. Brown, Ph.D. The committee members were chosen from the constituent groups and partners of the Radford University family, including the Board of Visitors, faculty, staff, students, administrators, alumni, community members and Carilion Clinic.
Committee members include:
- Jeanne Armentrout, Carilion, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer
- Nancy Artis ’73, Alumni Representative
- Ashlee Claud, AP Senate President
- Holly Cline, Ph.D., College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Kristina Contreras ’15, M.S. ’16, Staff Senate President
- Vernard Harrington, Ph.D., Davis College of Business and Economics
- Katie Hilden, Ph.D., Faculty Senate President, College of Education and Human Development
- Grace Hurst, Student Government Association President
- Chris Huther ’88, J.D., Radford University Foundation Board of Directors Chair
- Amanda Kellogg, Ph.D., College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Sheila Krajnik, Ed.D., Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- Jamie Lau, Ph.D., Artis College of Science and Technology
- Mark S. Lawrence, Board of Visitors Member
- Deb McMahon, Ph.D., Board of Visitors Member
- Anthony Smith ’98, Athletic Foundation Board of Directors Chair
- David A. Smith ’85, M.S. ’87, Board of Visitors Member
- Ray Smoot, Ph.D., Community Representative
- Milena Staykova, Ed.D., School of Nursing
- Lisa Throckmorton ’94, Board of Visitors Member
- Susan Trageser, Ed.D., Vice President for Student Affairs
- Tamara Wallace, Ph.D., College of Education and Human Development Dean
- Ali Wickman, Radford University Carilion Graduate Student
To assist the Presidential Search Committee throughout this important process, the Radford University Board of Visitors has selected the experienced search firm, Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
Additional information about the first meeting and public forums will be made available when details are finalized. Regular updates from the Presidential Search Committee will be provided throughout the process and will be found on the Presidential Search webpage.