Radford University, Jefferson College merger featured in the media
On July 17, Radford University's potential merger with Jefferson College was named one of The Roanoke Times' political all-stars.
The potential merger with Jefferson College was announced on Jan. 18 in a joint announced by Radford Univerrsity President Brian O. Hemphill, Jefferson College President Nathaniel Bishop and President and CEO of Carilion Clinic Nancy Howell Agee.
Radford and JCHS have a history of productive collaboration, including:
- A partnership formed to transition the nursing program to Radford University when the Roanoke Memorial Hospital School of Nursing closed in 1988. The partnership increased the size of Radford’s nursing program and established Radford University’s first presence in Roanoke.
- Development of the Virginia Intercollegiate Anatomy Lab, housed at Jefferson College, by Radford University, JCHS and the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine in 2015.
- Radford’s newly-expanded Clinical Simulation Center in the Roanoke Higher Education is used by students from both Radford and JCHS as well as Patrick Henry Community College.
- Establishment of Radford University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program and its integration into the JCHS Roanoke campus in 2011.
- Employment by Carilion Clinic of hundreds of Radford University graduates, including more than 350 Radford University nursing graduates – 40 of whom were hired in 2016 alone.
- Engagement of more than 500 Radford University students who participated in job shadowing, clinical rotations or internships with Carilion Clinic from 2016 to 2017.
- Carilion Clinic also provides student health services to Radford University since 1999 and it provides event coverage, athletic training and sports clinics to Radford University Athletics.