Greeks honored at end-of-year awards ceremony
Bondurant buzzed with excitement on April 28 as the annual Greek Life awards were announced.
Members of Radford University's Greek Life community packed the Preston Hall auditorium where dozens of individuals, fraternities and sororities were recognized for their commitment to upholding Greek values.
The community is celebrating its 85th anniversary at Radford University, a milestone that "can be summed up in one word," said Robert Marias, assistant director of Student Activities – Greek Life.
"Progress," he said.
"There have been many changes and triumphs to Greek Life this year. While we have come a long way, we recognize that there is still much work to be done as we continue to strive as a community to pursue 'Excellence without Exception.'"
Among the awards presented was the President's Cup, the most prestigious honor for Radford University's Greek Life community. The cup, which recognizes exceptional standards of excellence, was presented this year to Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority.
Chapter of the Year honors were given to Phi Sigma Kappa, Interfraternity Council (IFC); Sigma Gamma Rho, National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC); and Alpha Sigma Alpha, Panhellenic Council (PC). Greek Man of the Year is Cameron Wood of Sigma Chi and Greek Woman of the Year is Jessica Clervoi of Alpha Kappa Alpha.
"I am so proud of all the many accomplishments and milestones the Greek Community has achieved this year, and I look forward to the year ahead as we take on new challenges and work collaboratively to improve upon the legacy we have built," Marias said. "Jackie Thomas – coordinator of Greek Life programs - and all of the outstanding student leaders among the IFC, PC and NPHC councils have done a great job moving our community to new heights."
Other awards presented were:
- Chapter President of the Year: Rachel Helton, Delta Zeta
- Officer of the Year: Kaitlyn Julien, Zeta Tau Alpha
- Outstanding Community Service: Sigma Gamma Rho
- Outstanding Philanthropy Award: Sigma Pi
- Recyclemania Award: Alpha Chi Rho
- Chapter Advisor of the Year: James Ford Cho, Theta Chi and Carla James, Alpha Kappa Alpha
- Faculty Advisor of the Year: Steve Lerch, Delta Zeta
- Greek Alumnus of the Year: Josie Daniels, Sigma Gamma Rho
- Faculty Member of the Year: Kim Herbert, Delta Zeta
- Values in Action Award: Haley Goins, Alpha Sigma Alpha
- The Jervey Award: Phi Sigma Sigma
- The Hurlburt Award: Susan Kouzel, Alpha Sigma Alpha
- Service Awards: Jessica Clervoi, Brittani Sanford, Desiree Johnson-Flemister, Ryan Stiltner, Sam Carruthers, Evan Satterley, Michael Lopez, Ellen Spencer, Kaitlin Reilly, Megan Coyne, Keeley Dugan
- Council Presidents Recognition: Kierra Barnes, NPHC; Dustin Kidd, IFC; Taylor Wherrell, PC
- Graduate Assistant: Caitlin Stroupe, Delta Rho Delta
- Greek Week Champions
- IFC: Delta Chi (first); Pi Kappa Phi (second); Sigma Phi Epsilon (third)
- NPHC: Delta Sigma Theta (first); Phi Beta Sigma (second); Alpha Kappa Alpha (third)
- PC: Sigma Kappa (first); Zeta Tau Alpha (second); Alpha Sigma Alpha (third)
- Greek Intramural Cup-PC: Sigma Kappa
- Greek Intramural Cup-IFC: Sigma Chi
- Highest GPA – Men: Jesse Daniels, Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Highest GPA – Women: Jordan Lambert, Zeta Tau Alpha; Jennifer Hicks, Delta Zeta; Shelby Ruth, Delta Zeta; Sarah Hudie, Alpha Sigma Alpha
- Most Improved Chapter GPA: Delta Sigma Theta - .535; Phi Sigma Sigma - .307; Phi Sigma Kappa - .217
- Highest Chapter GPA: Sigma Phi Epsilon - 3.448 (spring 2014); Alpha Kappa Alpha - 3.410 (fall 2014)
- Highest New Member Class GPA: Sigma Phi Epsilon - 3.448 (spring 2014); Delta Zeta - 3.004 (fall 2014)
- Community Choice Award: Phi Sigma Sigma
- Excellence in Risk Managament Award: Alpha Sigma Alpha
There are 28 general fraternities and sororities at Radford University. More than 1,100 Radford University students are members of the Greek Life community.