Radford University’s Exercise, Sport and Health Education (ESHE) major is a great fit for students with a passion for sports and exercise. The ESHE program offers two concentrations: Health and Exercise Science and Physical and Health Education. You will emerge prepared for graduate education and careers in fitness training, coaching, exercise physiology and education, among other fields.
Choose Your Concentration
Health and Exercise Science Concentration
Students will learn about exercise science and health promotion, including how to develop personalized fitness programs and encourage health behavior change.
Physical and Health Education Teacher Education Concentration
You’ll experience classroom learning on campus and hands-on, experiential training in local schools which culminates in a student teaching experience.. Successful program completion leads to teaching licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Why Study Exercise, Sport and Health Education at Radford?
- 85% of student teachers receive job offers prior to graduation.
- Physical and Health Education has been listed in the top ten teaching endorsement areas with critical shortages by the Virginia Department of Education.
- We offer unique tracks for you to choose from that are unique to your career goals.
- Health and Physical Education has been listed in the top ten teaching endorsement areas with critical shortages by the Virginia Department of Education in 10 of the past 12 years.
- Graduates with this degree earn a median annual salary of $59,000 median in Virginia.
Learn more about the career outlook for Exercise, Sport and Health Education.
- Students with a Physical and Health Education Teacher Education concentration recieve hjands-on teaching opportunities with local schools.
- We offer opportunities to work as trainers in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center and earn professional fitness certifications before graduation.
- Students are encouraged to join the ESHE majors club.
- Students are encouraged to attend the Virginia Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance conference.
- Student can join living/learning community dedicated to health and wellness.
A Bachelor of Science degree with 122 credits: 38 credits of required courses, 15 credits of professional education courses, 27 credits in a focus area, and 10 credits of required courses outside of the major.
Prepare for your career in real-time
Our grounding approach to teacher preparation includes:
- Peer teaching assignments
- exposure to guest speakers
- interviews with real teachers from across Virginia
- practical experiences working with children on and off campus
100% of student teachers successfully pass licensure exams
state (VCLA) and national (Praxis II)
85% of student teachers receive job offers prior to graduation
Join a nationally accredited program
Our program is nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE) America.