Alcohol and Drug Policies

Alcoholic Beverages

Radford University seeks to encourage and sustain an academic environment that both respects individual freedom and promotes the health, safety and welfare of all members of its community. In keeping with these objectives, the university has established a policy and guidelines governing the possession, sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the university campus that conform to the laws of Virginia. Underage possession and /or consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted on property owned or controlled by the university. Intentionally or knowingly selling, or intentionally or knowingly "furnishing" alcoholic beverages to persons under the age of 21, or to persons obviously inebriated, is not permitted on property owned or controlled by the university. Legal consumption and possession of alcoholic beverages is limited to designated locations only. The complete policy and guidelines concerning alcoholic beverages are published in the Standards of Student Conduct.

Illegal Drugs

The university does not condone the possession, use or distribution of marijuana, LSD or other hallucinogens, narcotics or any other illegal drugs by anyone in any campus facility. Any individual known to be possessing, using, or distributing such drugs is subject to campus disciplinary action and criminal arrest, imprisonment and/or fine according to state law.

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Education Programs

Consistent with its educational mission, the university also assists its members in finding alternatives to alcoholic beverages for promoting social interaction and stress reduction, and it provides services and resources for community members who experience alcohol-related difficulties. Keeping informed is an important step in developing a healthy lifestyle and in knowing how to cope with problems as they arise.

Radford University provides useful and informative prevention education programs throughout the year.

A variety of departments sponsor workshops and lectures on alcohol and drug-related issues to support and encourage healthy, productive lifestyles.

These programs are made available through:

University Police831 - 5500
Student Counseling Services831 - 5226
SAVES831 - 5709
Residential Life831 - 5375
Student Health Center831 - 5111
Intercollegiate Athletics831 - 5228

For students with substance abuse problems or concerns, assistance is available at Student Counseling Services or the SAVES office . The experienced professional counselor offers support for students in an atmosphere of understanding and confidentiality. The Counseling Services offers individual assessment and referral to both on and off-campus resources.

If you are aware of problems with friends, roommates, or family members, we encourage you to act responsibly by consulting with the Student Counseling Services. Remaining silent or waiting until a situation has escalated is neither respectful nor responsible. The university will work with you and your fellow students to cooperatively solve alcohol and substance abuse problems as they occur.