Campus Security Authorities (CSA)

The Radford University Police Department strongly encourages all members of the campus community to report crimes to us on a timely basis. However, under the Clery Act, CSAs are required to report Clery related crimes that occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus, and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University.  

The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students, in particular, may be hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals.


Are You A CSA?

By law CSAs are considered:

University Police Department sworn personnel and department administrators.

Non-police individuals of offices responsible for campus security. These CSAs have security presence or access control authority on university property including, but not limited to, Building and Grounds, security staff at athletic events, security staff at student functions and student ID checkers access management throughout campus.

The Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSAs, consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for Officials (i.e., not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students.

Any individual or organization specified in an institution’s statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses – University Police.

Who is Not a CSA?

The following non-CSA positions and functions include, but are not limited to, administrative staff members who are not responsible for students, clerical staff (those who do not work in a student-driven environment), individual faculty with no student activity duties outside the classroom, pastoral, medical staff, or counselors in the Counseling Center who provide care to individual students.

CSA Crime Reporting

When a crime is reported to a CSA, first ask the person if they would like to report it to University Police. If so, contact University Police at 540-831-5500. If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a police report with University Police, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a Campus Security Authority Crime Reporting Form. However, if the reporting party says they will file a police report with University Police, leaving the CSA with no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Crime Report.

CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes reported to them, on a timely basis, to University Police. However, under the Clery Act only Clery Act qualifying crimes are required to be reported to the RUPD or Clery Compliance Office. The CSA Crime Reporting Form may be submitted to the University Police and Clery Compliance Office online.

If the reported crime is made in good faith, meaning that there is reasonable basis for believing that the information is not rumor or hearsay, then the crime is Clery reportable. CSAs, when interacting with the crime reporting party, need to gather incident information that will provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident (see CSA reporting form for guidance). This means CSAs need to document reporting party responses or lack thereof. CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a Campus Safety Authority Reporting Form should be completed and submitted!