Welcome new Highlanders!
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all summer 2020 Quest sessions will take place 1-day online through virtual Quest. We thank you for your understanding.
Our Virtual Freshman Quest will take place from 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM on the following dates:
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #1 - Saturday, June 13
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #2 - Tuesday, June 16
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #3 - Thursday, June 18
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #4 - Thursday, July 9
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #5 - Tuesday, July 14
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #6 - Thursday, July 16
- Virtual Freshman Quest Session #7 - Saturday, July 18
- Virtual NRCC Bridge Quest - Friday, July 24
- Virtual Quest 2020 registration is still open! We have our virtual Fall Quest on August 10, 2020. Please log in to your MyRU portal and click on the compass/orientation icon to sign up today!
Please use the links below to learn more about freshman orientation at Radford University.
For new freshmen who will be beginning classes in the fall, we strongly recommend participation in a two-day Quest. We do offer a one-day Quest program, known as Quest (1 day) or formally Quest Express, for those who cannot attend our two-day program. Both of these programs are designed to help students in their transition to Radford University. Students will:
- Register for classes.
- Obtain ID cards.
- Learn about campus services.
- Familiarize themselves with the Radford University campus.
- Interact with their fellow new freshmen and student leaders in a relaxed atmosphere.
New freshmen who do not attend one of these summer programs must register online for and attend an abbreviated one-day August Quest orientation program, also known as Fall Quest, after they move into their residence halls. Online registration for this session is opened in mid-July, and all new freshmen who did not attend Quest will need to register online for and attend this program.
Since students who attend the August session are typically very tired after simultaneously moving belongings into residence halls after having traveled (sometimes) great distances to Radford, the August orientation takes a “just the basics” approach that focuses primarily upon class scheduling. We do our best to offer experiences in August equivalent to those during our traditional summer Quest sessions, but time and other limitations make that a difficult goal to attain. Again, we recommend that you participate in a Quest (2 day) or Quest (1 day) program earlier in the summer if at all possible.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime or call the Office of New Student and Family Programs at (540) 831-5923 during normal business hours!
Quest (2-day) 2020 (Due to COVID-19 restrictions all 2-day sessions will now take place online over 1-day)
Quest (2-day) is a two-day program designed to allow participants to accomplish everything they’ll need to take care of leading up to move-in day in August. This orientation program provides an excellent opportunity to meet other new students in a relaxed setting. It features:
- In-depth advising with a faculty advisor.
- Comprehensive guest/parent program.
- A 45-minute play, performed by our Quest Assistants, that provides an overview of some common new student scenarios.
- A student social with a DJ, bowling and billiards, a climbing wall and snacks.
- The option for students and parents to stay overnight in our residence halls (which we strongly encourage) and get a feel for what it will be like living on campus. We even offer overnight accommodations the night before our Quest (2 day) sessions. If interested in staying with us, you'll see those options when registering for Quest through your MyRU portal. After logging in through the portal, just click on the compass/orientation icon and you're on your way!
A day and a half program starting with a larger check in window from 8-10 a.m., meals provided, in-depth advising with a faculty advisor, social interaction with current students and other incoming students, course registration and a comprehensive parent and guest program.
Virtual Quest 2020 Dates Offered
- June 13
- June 18
- July 9
- July 18
- August 10 (Monday)
Quest (1-day) is a full one day orientation program for new freshmen that maintains the focus on academic advising and registration, and also provides opportunities for community building, an introduction to campus resources, business services and staff, in an abbreviated format.
Quest (1-day) will not be as in-depth as Quest (2-day) with the shortened schedule. This program is designed for students who are more familiar with Radford University and what it offers. This program is also ideal for students who are not able to make it to one of our full service two-day Quest sessions.
1-Day Quest 2020 Dates Offered
- June 16 (Tuesday)
- July 14 (Tuesday)
- July 16 (Thursday)
- August 10 (Monday)