Checking Out Items
We will be happy to help you with check-outs, check-ins, renewals, and more!
How do I check out materials?
- Current student or employee: Simply present your own current ONE Card at McConnell Library's Front Desk or at the RUC Library's service desk. There is no separate library card—just use your ONE Card.
- Retired employee: You may continue checking out materials using your ONE Card. Your card will be renewed upon your request, for one year at a time.
- Dependent family member of a current employee: Use your family ID card, obtainable from the ONE Card office, and present it at checkout.
- Virginia resident who is not affiliated with Radford University: Present a current Virginia driver’s license, or a military ID or passport along with verification of your Virginia address. (Address verification may be presented in the form of a bill, a check with a pre-printed address, or a similar document.) If you are under age 18, we require the signature and identification (presented in person) of a parent or guardian. Public patrons will be issued a New River Public Library Cooperative library card, which may also be registered at public libraries throughout the New River Valley.
- VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) student or employee: Present your own university's ID card as sufficient identification. We will issue you a New River Public Library Cooperative library card, which may also be registered at public libraries throughout the New River Valley. If you are not sure if your university participates in VIVA, check here: http://www.vivalib.org/borrowing/
Can I renew materials?
Yes! Most library materials can be renewed. Be sure to renew your library materials on or before their due date in order to avoid overdue fines. Renewal requests can be made through your library account or by contacting the Front Desk at email@example.com or 540-831-5364; or the RUC Library at 540-985-9767.
Can someone check out materials on my behalf?
If you are a Radford University or RUC employee, and you would like to designate a specific person – such as a student worker -- to check out materials on your behalf at either University Libraries location, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org from your Radford University/RUC email account, and give us the following information:
- A statement saying that proxy checkout permission is granted
- Full name of proxy, and Radford University ID number of proxy (if applicable)
- Length of permission (just today, all semester, or permanent)
After we receive this authorization, we will enter information into your library account that will allow your proxy to check out all University Libraries materials on your behalf, at either University Libraries location. You will be held responsible for damage or loss of all items that are checked out to you, regardless of whether the checkout was made by your proxy.
We will require your proxy to present their own valid identification card in order to check out materials on your behalf.
Please note that Interlibrary Loan proxy checkout permissions are handled separately through the "Authorized Users" section of ILLiad. Giving someone proxy permission to check out University Libraries materials will not allow them to check out your ILL materials.