The mission of McConnell Library is to build strong relationships and advance learning with all members of the Radford University community. We will enhance services, collections, and spaces to invite and inspire learning, intellectual and artistic creativity, and the free and open exploration of ideas. We will foster collections, services, and programs that are reflective of a diversity of lived experiences.
We aspire to be our community’s chosen destination for research, scholarship, and exploration of ideas.
1. Relationships: Strengthen and build relationships with the RU community.
- Promote user-centered library policies and procedures
- Pursue opportunities to engage with our community
- Initiate workshops and events that foster partnerships
2. Services: Improve services to support research, teaching, learning, and scholarly communication.
- Develop and improve the online presence of the Library
- Assess services through various methods and act on data
- Pursue diverse hires which will support this goal
3. Collections: Improve and promote access to library collections.
- Seek ways to market current collections
- Collect new knowledge and employ current access or preservation trends
- Conduct usability studies of online resources under Library’s control
4. Spaces: Provide optimal facilities to support the evolving needs of patrons and employees.
- Explore ways to increase universal accessibility
- Repurpose space to provide more single and group study spaces
- Improve signage
5. Workplace culture: Expand ways to be a respectful and supportive employer.
- Improve “on-boarding” procedures for new hires
- Provide staff with focused professional development opportunities and funding
- Support departmental and committee team-building activities
6. Equity and inspiration: Promote learning, creativity, diversity, and exploration.
- Cultivate an accessible, inclusive, and welcoming environment for learning and creating
- Support the creation of new knowledge
- Encourage experimentation and creativity among staff and patrons