Online Proctoring Tools
Respondus Monitor enhances LockDown Browser by using a student’s webcam to record the assessment session. This enables online exams to be taken in non-proctored environments and deters students from accessing other resources during an exam (such as a phone, a second computer, etc.). It also ensures the right student is taking the exam, and that the student isn’t getting help from others.
How to Use It:
Complete Practice Test set up by your Instructor to ensure:
Latest version of software is installed: click on the "i" > Check for New Version
System checks are complete: click on the "Help Center" > Run System Check Respondus Monitor Help Center
To enable Respondus Monitor for a quiz:
1) Click the "Quizzes" menu option from within your course.
2) Click the "Lockdown Browser" link
3) Check the "Require Respondus Lockdown" option (NOTE - You may want to uncheck "Require LockDown Browser to view Feedback & Results")
4) Select "Require Respondus Monitor for this exam"
The Quick Start Guide has screenshots and more details for setting up the exams using Respondus Monitor.
Best Practices for Faculty:
1. Require Practice Exam and have students check the following:
- Latest version of software is installed: click on the "i" > Check for New Version
- System checks are complete: click on the "Help Center" > Run System Check Respondus Monitor Help Cente
2. Include this official wording in your Syllabus.
Best Practices for Students:
Below is a listing of events that may flag the video when you are taking the test as potential misconduct. Please read below and try to avoid:
- Missing from Frame — the student could not be detected in the video frame for a period of time
- Different person in Frame — a different person from whom started the exam may have been detected in the video frame for a period of time
- Multiple persons in Frame — multiple faces are detected in the video for a period of time
- An Internet interruption occurred — a video interruption occurred as a result of an internet failure
- Video frame rate lowered due to quality of internet connection — if a poor upload speed is detected with the internet connection, the frame rate is automatically lowered for the webcam video
- Student exited LockDown Browser early — the student used a manual process to terminate the exam session early; the reason provided by the student is shown
- A webcam was disconnected — the web camera was disconnected from the computing device during the exam
- A webcam was connected — a web camera was connected to the computing device during the exam
- An attempt was made to switch to another screen or application — indicates an application-switching swipe or keystroke combination was attempted
- Video session terminated early — indicates the video session terminated unexpectedly, and that it didn't automatically reconnect before the exam was completed by the student