Online Proctoring Tools
Respondus Monitor enhances LockDown Browser by using a student’s webcam to record the assessment session. This enables online exams to be taken in non-proctored environments and deters students from accessing other resources during an exam (such as a phone, a second computer, etc.). It also ensures the right student is taking the exam, and that the student isn’t getting help from others.
How to Use It:
Complete Practice Test set up by your Instructor to ensure:
Latest version of software is installed: click on the "i" > Check for New Version
System checks are complete: click on the "Help Center" > Run System Check Respondus Monitor Help Center
To enable Respondus Monitor for a quiz:
1) Click the "Quizzes" menu option from within your course.
2) Click the "Lockdown Browser" link
3) Check the "Require Respondus Lockdown" option (NOTE - You may want to uncheck "Require LockDown Browser to view Feedback & Results")
4) Select "Require Respondus Monitor for this exam"
The Quick Start Guide has screenshots and more details for setting up the exams using Respondus Monitor.
Best Practices for Faculty:
1. Require Practice Exam and have students check the following:
- Latest version of software is installed: click on the "i" > Check for New Version
- System checks are complete: click on the "Help Center" > Run System Check Respondus Monitor Help Cente
2. Include this official wording in your Syllabus.
Best Practices for Students:
Below is a listing of events that may flag the video when you are taking the test as potential misconduct. Please read below and try to avoid:
- Missing from Frame — the student could not be detected in the video frame for a period of time
- Different person in Frame — a different person from whom started the exam may have been detected in the video frame for a period of time
- Multiple persons in Frame — multiple faces are detected in the video for a period of time
- An Internet interruption occurred — a video interruption occurred as a result of an internet failure
- Video frame rate lowered due to quality of internet connection — if a poor upload speed is detected with the internet connection, the frame rate is automatically lowered for the webcam video
- Student exited LockDown Browser early — the student used a manual process to terminate the exam session early; the reason provided by the student is shown
- A webcam was disconnected — the web camera was disconnected from the computing device during the exam
- A webcam was connected — a web camera was connected to the computing device during the exam
- An attempt was made to switch to another screen or application — indicates an application-switching swipe or keystroke combination was attempted
- Video session terminated early — indicates the video session terminated unexpectedly, and that it didn't automatically reconnect before the exam was completed by the student
- How do students initiate a live chat with Respondus Support?
Most technical issues are encountered during the pre-exam “Startup Sequence” of Respondus Monitor – which is where the webcam/microphone check occurs. There is already a powerful “It’s not working” feature in Respondus Monitor that helps students find the right solution. But if students are unable to solve the issue by the last step, a “Chat now” prompt appears. The live chat functionality can also be accessed through the “Help Center” in Respondus Monitor.
Which Respondus products have support available via live chat?
At the current time, 24/7 live chat support is available to students using Respondus Monitor, which is the online proctoring service available for LockDown Browser.
If you have any questions, please submit a support ticket.