Earn ASSET Micro-credentials
Appalachian Support for Specialized Education Training (ASSET)
Teaching can be challenging and professional development does not always meet your needs if you are a busy teacher. The goal of the ASSET program is to share ideas to help you teach more effectively, and make math and literacy instruction more fun for your students and for you.
Radford University’s ASSET program provides self-paced, competency-based, online professional development to help rural teachers meet the needs of all students in today’s increasingly challenging classrooms. We know you are working with a wide range of learning needs in your classrooms. And, who has time to dig through a wide range of practices in order to figure out what works? We do!
The ASSET team has hand-picked the most effective tools and resources from the Institute of Educational Sciences (IES) What Works Clearinghouse (WWC) practice guides.
For more information about ASSET, please use the form at the bottom of the page. To ENROLL NOW, use the button to officially enroll
into the ASSET program. If you would like assistance in enrolling, please call 540-831-7168.
Exactly What I Expected
"Using the ASSET program was exactly what I expected it to be. I was able to complete the modules on my own time as well as at my own pace.
As an educator, I was constantly busy with the everyday tasks of teaching, but being a part of the ASSET program was extremely easy for my schedule. I could complete however many modules I wanted when I wanted instead of having set deadlines. I was very impressed with the program and how it did not feel like extra work."
Teacher, Grade 3
Pulaski County Public Schools
Worthy of My Time
"The format of this program was wonderful. The lessons were comprised of a prior-knowledge assessment, videos (as a form of direct instruction), activities that allowed for application of what was learned in the videos, and an end-of-lesson assessment to show knowledge gained.
The lessons were easy-to-follow and worthy of my time. Examples were given for all elementary grade levels, and also addressed how different strategies could be used to help students who have learning difficulties."
Teacher, Grade 3
Are you an educator in Virginia? Learn about VEAP!
We are thrilled to provide several free seats to each Virginia district outside of Appalachia for your interested teachers and administrators as part of the ASSET Virginia Early Adopter Program (VEAP)!
As part of the ASSET VEAP program, participating teachers and administrators will:
- Gain 24/7 access to effective and engaging elementary math and literacy micro-credentials and resources
- Join a community of education professionals across five states
- Collaborate with a Learning Coach dedicated to your professional development success
Via the ASSET program, we can connect teachers across Virginia and the larger Appalachian region to begin sharing best practices with each other.
Why Choose ASSET?
Online, Anytime, Anywhere
PD courses delivered online and designed so that you can access exactly what you need whenever and wherever it is most convenient for you! And, because there are no set dates, you can find a pace that's right for you too!
SUPPORT TO HELP YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
From the moment you enroll in ASSET you are assigned a personal learning coach available to support you by email, phone or text. You also have access to technical support, tutorial videos, and our Frequently Asked Questions for getting the most of our PD.
WHERE RESEARCH MEETS REALITY
Built on strategies supported by top educational researchers and vetted by the US Department of Education. More importantly, everything has been tested by real teachers in real classrooms with real students. Learn more about our micro-credentials.
EARN PD HOURS AND GRADUATE CREDIT
Each micro-credential is estimated to take five hours to complete. As you successfully complete the micro-credential you will earn the Award of Completion noting 5 PD hours. Complete any 5 micro-credentials and earn 1 graduate credit.
Compentency-Based Education Model
- ASSET is aligned with the competency-based education (CBE) approach, which focuses on teaching specific job-related skills that are needed to perform a critical task in the workplace.
- The CBE approach uses an online platform to deliver asynchronous, self-paced learning modules aligned with workplace competencies.
- The innovative competency-based education model allows you to demonstrate mastery of competencies based on skills developed by your previous work experience.
- This non-traditional teaching approach decouples learning from time-based models, such as a 14-week semester, and enables ASSET to empower educators in Appalachia with professional development and career-advancing skills.
- Through gamification, ASSET applies game-design elements to improve learning and comprehension of materials.
- Collaborative online environment encourages networking with experts and other teachers.