Statement of Economic Interest
The state requires all covered employees to complete the Statement of Economic Interest prior to starting their appointment and then once annually thereafter. The SOEI agency coordinator will notify each new hire in a covered position. The email notification will provide links to the training, filing requirements, and FAQ’s. The Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council was created by the General Assembly to encourage and facilitate compliance with the State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/state-and-local-government-conflict-of-interests-act/ (§ 2.2-3100 et seq.), the General Assembly Conflicts of Interests Act (§ 30-100 et seq.) and the lobbying laws in Article 3 of the Code of Virginia (§ 2.2-418 et seq.).
The Governor’s Executive Order 18: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/executive-actions/ defines the scope and covered positions required to file. The Division of Human Resources, along with the Bursar’s office review and update the university’s list of covered positions accordingly.
In addition, new employees covered by the State and Local Government Conflict of Interest Act must complete Conflict of Interest training within two months of starting the new position and every two years thereafter, to stay in compliance.
Conflict of Interest Act Training
Conflict of Interest training is required every two years for certain state and local government officers and employees. The online modules are specific to the role in which you serve and must be viewed in its entirety in order to satisfy the training requirement. The system will not credit your attendance if you fast forward through any portion of the training.
Click here to access the Conflict of Interest Act Training: https://ethicswebinar.dls.virginia.gov/
When you select your role from the drop down menu in the registration process, you will automatically access the proper module. The roles are:
- State Officer or Employee - Select this training if you file an SOEI using the Council’s online filing system; however, Constitutional Officers should select Local Elected Officials or EDAs/IDAs.
- Citizen Members Appointed to a State Board – This training is for all citizens who file FDS forms using the Council’s online filing system.
- Local Elected Officials or EDAs/IDAs – In the Locality field, executive directors or members of economic or industrial development authorities will choose the county, city or town where you file your SOEI form.
- General Assembly – This training is for the elected members of the Senate and House of Delegates.
Please reach out to http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/ if you have any issues viewing the training.
- COIA Training Website: https://ethicswebinar.dls.virginia.gov/
- Troubleshooting the Electronic Filing System FAQs
- Individual Filer User Guide
- Example of State and Local SOEI
- Example of Financial Disclosure Statement
- Guide to completing the SOEI:
- State and Local Statement of Economic Interest FAQs:
- Guide to completing Financial Disclosure Statement
- Financial Disclosure Statement FAQs
- Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council
For technical issues with the training or disclosure site, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Filing Requirements
All covered employees must complete the disclosure annually. The filing year covers financial information from Jan. 1 - Dec. 31 of the previous year. On Jan. 1, all covered employees will receive notification from the Virginia Conflict of Interest and Ethics Advisory Council giving instructions on how to file. The filing must be completed online before the close of business on Feb. 1. The state will fine late filers $250.
SOEI Disclosure Portal: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/conflict-of-interest.asp