Radford University offers basic group life insurance to our classified, A/P faculty and T/R faculty employees. This benefit is an automatic benefit that starts upon the first day of employment. In addition to the basic group life insurance, employees may chose other optional life insurance and long-term care plans to fit their needs. For more information on each plan, click on the plan name for details. Contact the Benefits Department with questions.
Upon employment, full-time classified, A/P faculty and T/R faculty employees automatically are enrolled in a group life insurance policy at no cost to the employee. This plan provides natural death, accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Coverage is the equivalent of two times the employee's annual salary for natural death and four times the employee's annual salary for accidental death. Visit the VRS website for information.
You must fit the criteria listed below to be eligible for basic group life insurance:
- Full-time permanent, salaried state employees and faculty of Virginia’s public colleges and universities. Some part-time permanent, salaried state employees also are covered under the Basic Group Life Insurance Program.
- Full-time permanent, salaried instructional and management employees of the state’s local public school divisions. These employees include teachers, school administrators, school managers and clerical staff.
State employees covered under the Basic Group Life Insurance Program, are eligible to purchase additional life insurance for themselves as well as their spouse and dependent children through the Optional Group Life Insurance Program. You pay the premiums for this additional coverage through payroll deductions.
- VRS Website
- Optional Group Life Booklet with Rates | PDF
- Enrollment Application for VRS Optional Group Life Insurance | PDF
- Group Life Insurance Evidence of Insurability | PDF