Educational Assistance

Tuition Waiver

Eligible employees working in a full/part-time position wishing to further their education may register for up to two courses (maximum 7 combined credit hours) of instruction (graduate or undergraduate) at Radford University each semester and/or intersession terms. Once the Employee Tuition Waiver Request form is completed and approved (for each course), tuition and fees for the course(s) are waived. Application and registration for course work is subject to conditions involving eligibility and other participation requirements as stated in the Employee Tuition Waiver Policy [PDF].

Employee Tuition Waiver Request form [PDF]

Tuition Waiver Deadlines [PDF]

Tuition Reimbursement

Employees choosing to further their education at another educational institution in a part-time or full-time educational program may apply for tuition reimbursement. To qualify for tuition reimbursement funds must be available from the employee’s department budget and all approvals obtained prior to enrollment in full-time or part-time educational programs.

PART-TIME EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS - An educational program is considered part-time if only one class is taken during work hours. If authorized by their department head, full-time, salaried faculty and staff are eligible to take classes at institutions of higher education other than Radford University.

FULL-TIME EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS (including resident study) - An employee cannot take more than one class within an academic session during working hours without having his/her employment reduced to part-time. A department head may agree to reduce an employee's hours of work without agreeing to the payment of tuition and fees for job-related  courses. Educational leave can be granted with partial or no pay.

Tuition Reimbursement Agreement [PDF]

Educational Leave

Educational leave may be granted, at the discretion of the agency, for the purpose of allowing employees time to further their education through study related to their work or that of their agencies. At an agency's discretion, employees may be allowed to take educational leave with full, partial, or no pay. (The provisions of Policy 4.45, Leave Without Pay, Conditional and Unconditional, apply to an educational leave without pay.) Educational leave is limited to 12 months. Extensions to this leave, up to an additional 12 months, may be granted by the Department of Human Resource Management, or by agencies that have decentralization agreements regarding extensions of educational leave.

As a higher educational institution, it is our goal to promote educational growth and opportunities for our employees. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your HR Benefits Team at 540-831-5008 or