Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?

The Center for Global Education and Engagement encourages all students to study foreign languages abroad; however, fluency in a foreign language is not required for many programs. In fact, there are several programs that offer courses completely in English.

How much does it cost to study abroad?

The program costs for study abroad vary depending on the length of the program, who is offering the program and where you are going. Exchange programs allow Radford University students to pay regular Radford tuition and study overseas without paying tuition at the host institution! Affiliate programs charge a fee that usually includes at least tuition and housing. Faculty-led programs vary in costs. Look into potential programs to find out the exact costs.

What is the application process?

Each student must receive university approval to study abroad; there is a short online application to complete. The Center for Global Education and Engagement will confirm students' GPAs and check student conduct records. Students in faculty-led wintermester, summer, and spring break programs will have these applications forwarded to the Radford University faculty director, while students enrolled in semester programs will proceed to that program's application upon receiving approval.

What are the qualifications to study abroad?

Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 to study abroad. Students should note that some programs require a minimum GPA of 2.5. Students also need to be in good standing with all university offices.

How do I know which courses to take while studying abroad?

Students interested in a semester or year-long study abroad program should meet with their academic advisor to determine which courses to take when applying for a study abroad program. A course approval form containing planned courses and departmental signatures for course equivalencies are due prior to departing for all affiliate and exchange programs. Stop by Cook Hall 105 for more information.

Will the credits I take transfer back to Radford?

Yes! Whatever type of study abroad experience you choose, the credits will transfer back to Radford! Students should note that for affiliate programs, there is a $25 per credit hour fee to transfer credits. Credits may transfer as elective, core or major courses. Credit is applied upon receipt of transcripts showing successful completion of course work. Courses taught by RU faculty receive graded credit; other courses receive transfer credit.  Please note that courses offered as ECTS credits, have a 2:1 return rate.  For more information, please see the Registrar's Office in Heth Hall.

How can I apply for financial aid?

Students interested in participating in a study abroad program need to contact the Financial Aid Office for information about loans and other means of financial assistance. There are different deadlines for each semester, so please refer to the the Financial Aid Office for more details.

Are scholarships available?

To answer your questions on how to fund your study abroad experience, we have a list of scholarships on Funding Your Study Abroad.  For addtional questions, please reach out to us in Cook Hall 105, or visit the Financial Aid Office in Heth Hall.  

How does my club/organization request funding for international events from CGEE?

If your club/organization would like to request funds from the CGEE, then you must complete the below link.  Also, there are guidelines to help complete the form. If you have any questions, please email CGEE at  The form must be submitted to the Center for Global Education and Engagement 12 weeks prior to your event.  For Faculty members requesting funding from CGEE, your Chair and Dean must sign the application form.  For Student Clubs and Organizations, your Advisor(s) must sign the application.