Study Abroad Financial Aid

Considering Financial Aid and Study Abroad?

In many cases, students are interested in obtaining financial assistance to help them with the cost of a study abroad program. 

Students should contact the International Programs Office regarding study abroad experiences.  Students must be enrolled at Radford University in an international course before financial aid can be awarded for a study abroad program.  Program costs are determined by the international programs office and a cost sheet must be completed and provided to the financial aid office before applications can be reviewed.

Please contact the study abroad coordinator in the financial aid office at 540-831-5408 for questions regarding financial aid applications for study abroad.

You will also need to complete the Study Abroad Application found here by clicking the link or under our Forms page.

FYI for Study Abroad Loans

Due to the timing of these programs and the deposit requirements, financial assistance through federal aid programs may not be available.  For most study abroad programs students must apply for a Parent or Graduate PLUS loan or an Alternative/Private Education loan.  Students applications can be reviewed for federal financial aid programs, but students may be required to pay deposit fees out of pocket. 

Study Abroad Options to be Eligible for Financial Aid

There are three opportunities for students who are interested in studying abroad.  Only two of these options may be funded through Radford University, unless an exception is made. 

Option 1: Radford University offers study abroad opportunities through the university.

Students are enrolled for credit hours at RU and are considered Radford University students.  To obtain financial assistance for these study abroad programs, students should read the Financial Aid Study Abroad Information Sheet and complete the Study Abroad Financial Aid Application (link to forms page) available on our forms page, by the deadline dates. Be certain that you have submitted all required documentation.

Option 2: A student may obtain permission from Radford University to participate in a study abroad program that is offered through an accredited international school. 

Formal application materials must be completed through the International Programs Office, the Radford University Registrar's Office, and the Radford University Financial Aid Office.  To obtain financial assistance for this type of study abroad program, students must complete university requirements as outlined in the Radford University undergraduate catalog.  Students should also complete the Study Abroad Financial Aid Application (link to forms page) by the deadline of January 15th.  

Option 3: Exploring a study abroad opportunity that is offered through another university.

Typically, financial assistance for these programs must be obtained through the university that the student plans to attend.  If there are unusual circumstances that require a student to participate in these study abroad experiences, the student may write a letter of appeal to the Director of Financial Aid requesting a consortium agreement be set up with the host school.  However, neither Radford University nor the host school is required to make this type of agreement.  If the student's request is approved, additional forms are required before financial assistance can be received.