Completing the FAFSA
Before You Begin the FAFSA
1. Register for a FSAID Username and Password
Registration can be completed at fsaid.ed.gov , this username and password serves as your electronic signature for the FAFSA.
2. Gather all of the required SSN, birthdates, and legal names of you and the guardians that will be included on the FAFSA
3. Gather all your financial documents for the previous year tax forms.
You will need to use the previous year w2s and tax information to complete your FAFSA. For example, if you are working on the current 2018-2019 FAFSA you will need to use your 2016 Tax Information. If you are working on the upcoming 2019-2020 FAFSA you will need your 2017 Tax Information.
4. Complete the FAFSA on the web worksheet
This form will provide you with a guideline of the questions asked on the online application and will help you gather any additional information that will be required.
Completing the FAFSA
1. Using the FAFSA on the web worksheet enter all of the information on the FAFSA on the Web Application
Be sure to include Radford's school code so we receive a copy of your FAFSA. Radford School Code is 003732
2. Sign the FAFSA using your FSA ID username and password
Both student and parent need to sign the FAFSA for it to be complete
3. Print or save the confirmation number when you complete your FAFSA
This is the confirmation number you will be asked for if you are unable to retrieve your application at a later date
4. Paper FAFSAs can be requested if you do not want to file online
It can take 4-6 weeks for a paper FAFSA to be processed and sent to the school.To provide timely information it is highly recommended that the online application be completed.
FAFSA Follow Up
1. When your FAFSA has been processed you will receive an email notification of your Student Aid Report (SAR). You should save a copy of this for reference throughout the application process
2. You can view the status of your application by logging back into the FAFSA website (link to https://fafsa.gov)
3. You can make corrections to your FAFSA by logging back into the FAFSA website
4. Confirm that the RU Financial Aid Office has received a copy of your FAFSA by logging into MyRU and reviewing your Financial Aid Requirements