Office of the Ombudsman
The Department of Education has an office established to help assist students who are having issues with their federal student loans once they enter the repayment process.
If you have an issue that you have not been able to resolve with your servicing agency we recommend that you contact the Student Financial Assistance Ombudsman. The Ombudsman office may be able to propose solutions to resolve your issues.
Here are some examples of issues the Ombudsman can help you resolve:
- Resolve discrepancies in loan balances and payments
- Understand interest and collection charges
- Understand financial aid requirements
- Find loan servicing agencies
- Rehabilitate loans by establishing satisfactory repayment plans
- Reestablish eligibility for Federal aid
- Find promissory notes
- Defer or discharge loans
- Resolve issues related to income tax refund offsets, default status, consolidations, bankruptcies, service quality
- Any other customer concerns
You can contact the Office of the Ombudsman directly or you may visit their website for additional information.
Office of Ombudsman
Student Financia Assistance
Room 3012, ROB#3
7th & D Streets, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Toll Free Telephone - 1-877-557-2575
Website - www.ombudsman.ed.gov