Financial Aid Checklist
Review and Print this checklist to help you through the Financial Aid process.
- Complete your Federal Taxes Your spouse (if applicable) and/or parents’ taxes may also berequired. You will need tax information for 2017 for the 2019-2020 Academic Year.
- New Freshman – Create FSAID username and password. The FSA ID serves as your digital signature for the FAFSA and login information for Federal Student Aid websites. If you are a dependent student your parents will need to create a FSA ID as well.
- Complete your FAFSA.
- If requested complete verification process.
- Search for Scholarships You can look at Foundation Scholarships through Academic Works or other scholarships through our partners with iGrad to get you started.
- Review your financial aid award letter through your MyRU portal
- Accept your financial aid awards (remember to read all disclosures and to answer the questions on the resources/additional information tab to proceed)
- Review budget within your financial aid awards and the shopping sheet
- Students: When you accept loans for your awards, first time borrowers will need to complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov
- Parents: Request the Parent PLUS loan (if applicable) and complete the Master Promissory note studentloans.gov
- Graduate Students: Request the Graduate PLUS loan (if applicable) and complete the Master Promissory note studentloans.gov
- Report/submit any and all private scholarships and other financial resources such as military benefits or outside state grants/scholarships on the Resources section on your MyRU portal. (This is information other than your Radford award information.)
- Review the Award Memorandum in your Financial Aid Award packet/email.
- Complete Check in on your MyRU portal (prior to start of each semester)
- Review your enrollment level to make sure your aid will disburse
- Check your MyRU portal to see if you have any outstanding requirements.
- Set up Direct Deposit with Bursar’s office for your refund checks
- Set up authorized payer and payment plans with Bursar’s office (if applicable)
- Review your e-bill to make sure that your Financial Aid is pending and ready to pay.