Trainings and Progams
Diversity, equity and inclusion trainings for students (both Radford and Carilion Learning Locations) can be found at www.radford.edu/ruinvolved. As additional trainings are added to the schedule, they will be updated in this location.
Laptop Loaner Program
The Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) Laptop Loaner Program (LLP) is open to all Radford University students (Radford and Carilion Learning Locations) that meet the requirements outlined in the Information Technology Policies and Standards and below:
- Enrolled and registered for classes during the requested loan period
- Have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (does not apply to incoming freshman and transfer students)
- Be in good conduct standing (No active sanctions)
- Be in good standing with the CDI, if applicable (Previous LLP history review)
All participants must meet with a Campus Partner at least once during the loan period. In addition, students with a 2.3 GPA or lower must meet with a minimum of two Campus Partners during the loan period. Failure to do so will result in ineligibility for future participation in the program. Fulfillment of this requirement includes, but is not limited to:
- Meeting with a Student Success Coach in the Office of Student Success
- Meeting with your Academic Advisor
- Tutoring appointment(s) with the Harvey Center
- 1:1 meeting with a CDI professional staff member: Director, Assistant Director and/or Office Manager
- 1:1 meeting with other professional staff member on campus
In special cases, provisional acceptance for the LLP will be given to students that have earned a 1.9 GPA or lower. These students must meet with the CDI Director to map out the accommodations for this LLP agreement. Failure to honor accommodations will result in the termination of the LLP agreement and the laptop must be returned.
- Laptops are distributed upon student eligibility and availability of laptops.
- Application must be completed by the student that is requesting a laptop.
- Loan Periods are Fall Semester, Wintermester/Spring Semester and Maymester/Summer Sessions.
- All laptops must be returned by the associated loan period deadline.
- If you need a laptop for an additional loan period you must reapply.
HOW TO APPLY
- The Laptop Loaner application can be found online on the CDI RU Involved web page.
- See the timeline below for application opening dates.
- Once an application has been submitted, the turn-around time is typically 5 business days.
- Students are notified of approval with pick-up instructions or denial through their Radford University email.
2021 - 2022 LAPTOP LOANER PROGRAM DATES
August 9 - Fall Semester 2021 Application opens
August 18 - Fall laptop distribution begins
August 23 - FALL CLASSES START
December 3 - Fall application closes - last day of classes
December 9 - DEADLINE TO RETURN ALL FALL SEMESTER LAPTOPS
December 13 - Wintermester/Spring Semester 2022 Application opens
January 18 - SPRING CLASSES START & spring laptop distribution begins
April 29 - Spring application closes - last day of classes
May 5 - DEADLINE TO RETURN SPRING SEMESTER LAPTOPS
May 10 - Maymester/Summer 2022 Application opens (Due dates determined by sessions registered.)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What if I cannot access the Laptop Loaner Application online?
Please contact or visit the CDI for assistance. It is recommended that you do not fill out the application using a smart phone. There are student computer labs on campus, including the CDI, where you can access a desktop computer to fill out the application.
Can I use the Laptop Loaner Program the entire time I am a student at Radford University?
Yes. You can apply each loan period that you are registered for classes. You must remain in good academic/conduct standing and maintain a positive history with the program.
What kind of laptops are used in the program?
We currently use Lenovo (Windows based) laptops. We do not offer Mac laptops currently, however there are iMac desktop computers available for student use in several of the computer labs on campus.
If my cumulative GPA is below a 2.0, can I participate in the program?
We do offer provisional acceptance into the program on a case-by-case basis. Provisionally accepted students must meet additional requirements through the CDI and/or the Office of Student Success.
If I have an incident on my conduct record can I still apply to the program?
Yes, however, all applicants must be in good standing at the time they apply to the program. Any previous sanctions must be resolved.
How long can I keep the laptop and charger?
Loan periods are defined as Fall Semester, Wintermester/Spring Semester and Maymester/Summer Sessions. Each loan term covers a specific time period within the academic year. All laptops must be returned at the end of each loan term for inventory and IT assessment and updates. Failure to return the laptop by the due date may result in a sanction from the Office of Student Standards and Conduct.
What do I do if the laptop and/or charger assigned to me are stolen or damaged?
If the laptop and/or charger are stolen you must immediately contact the police to file a police report and provide a copy of that report to the CDI within 72 hours. If a laptop or charger are damaged, it must be reported to the CDI within 72 hours. CDI will have IT conduct an assessment of the laptop, and the student will be required to meet with a member of the CDI staff.
- The Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) free printing resource is open to all Radford University students (Radford and Carilion Learning Locations) that meet the following requirements:
- You must be currently enrolled and registered for classes.
- Documents must be related to coursework or other University needs. (We do not print flyers for student clubs and organizations. Please visit the SOAR office in the Bonnie to print these items.)
- Printing limits are 10 pages per student per day in black and white, front and back format. (20 sides total.)
- PowerPoint presentations print four slides per page, front and back.
- Color copies and single-sided documents must be necessary for a class, and require approval from the Office Manager, Director or Assistant Director.
HOW TO PRINT
- All documents must be sent as an attachment (i.e., Word document, PowerPoint document, .pdf file, etc.) to the CDI email address: Diverse@radford.edu
- Documents will be printed when you come to the CDI, present your Radford ID card and sign the visitor log.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I print forms I need for Financial Aid or other University offices?
Yes, this falls under University needs.
I have a PowerPoint for a science class with colored diagrams slides. Can I have it printed in color?
This is a special circumstance where color printing is necessary, so yes, we will print the PowerPoint in color. We will still print four slides to a page, front and back format.
I have a paper assignment/project that needs to be printed single-sided, can I have it printed this way?
This is a special circumstance that would be approved as long as the document does not exceed ten pages.
Can I have something scanned and sent to my email address?
Yes, we can scan documents to any radford.edu email address. The document will convert to .pdf format. We cannot scan more than ten pages per day per student.
- All Radford University faculty, staff, students and student clubs and organizations from both campuses may reserve space in the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Reservations must be for a University related function, meeting, class, presentation, etc. (Reservations are not allowed for personal use.)
- Reservations are on a first come first serve basis.
- Areas available to reserve are:
Conference Room - seats up to 13
Student Leadership Office - seats up to 6
Main Lounge Space - seats up to 40
- Reservations are required at least 5 business days in advance.
- Reservations may not exceed a three-hour period.
- Director approval is required for any reservation request time that falls outside of regular CDI operating hours.
- Reserved areas should be returned to the condition and set up they were found. All trash must be disposed in the CDI kitchenette area.
- All attendees must sign in on the CDI Visitor Log.
HOW TO RESERVE SPACE
- All reservation requests are made using the CDI Space Reservation Form on the CDI RU Involved webpage.
- Once submitted, the point of contact will receive an email to confirm or deny the request within 48 business hours.