Artis College of Science and Technology
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Center for Information Security
- Biomedical Science
- Chemistry Department
- Geospatial Science
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- Radford University Planetarium
- Selu Observatory
- MS in Data And Information Management
- Anthropological Sciences
- Biology Department
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Department of Physics
- GIS Center
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Forensic Science Institute
- REALISE Students
- School of Computing and Information Sciences
In Fall 2018, we restructured our calculus sequence from the old sequence of four three-credit courses to the new sequence of three four-credit courses to better align with other schools in Virginia, including the Virginia Community College System.
Students Who Start After Fall 2018
The current calculus sequence is
- MATH 171 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (4 credits)
- MATH 172 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II (4 credits)
- MATH 271 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III (4 credits)
The prerequisite course for MATH 171 is a C or better in MATH 138 Precalculus II, but we recommed students who do not start in MATH 171 to instead take the two semester sequence
- MATH 168 Calculus I with Integrated Precalculus I (3 credits)
- MATH 169 Calculus I with Integrated Precalculus II (3 credits)
This sequence is equivalent to the sequence MATH 138:171 in that every degree program that requires Calculus I accepts either MATH 171 or 169, and the prerequesite for MATH 172 is a C or better in either MATH 171 or 169.
Students who need to take one of these courses and do not have credit for a MATH course (including transfer credit, AP credit, or courses taken at Radford University) should take our Math Placement Test to be placed into one of MATH 125, 138 or 168, or 171.
MATH 125, 138, 168, 169, 171 and 172 are all approved for the Mathematical Sciences component of University Core B for catalogs prior to 2020-21. For the Core Curriculum of the 2020-21 catalog, MATH 125 is approved for Foundational Math, and MATH 138, 168, 169, 171, and 172 are approved for both Foundational Math and Quantitative and Scientific Reasoning.
Students Who Start Prior to Fall 2018
The calculus sequence prior to Fall 2018 was
- MATH 151 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (3 credits)
- MATH 152 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II (3 credits)
- MATH 251 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III (3 credits)
- MATH 252 Calculus with Analytic Geometry IV (3 credits)
These courses are no longer offered, but they may still be used to satisfy degree requirements for some majors. Students in a major or minor that requires MATH 171, 172, or 271 should first contact their advisors to see which courses in the old sequence are acceptable.
Students who have credit for some of the old sequence but not enough to satisfy their degree requirements should contact Dr. Neil Sigmon, chair of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, for alternate strategies to satisfy the degree requirements.