Artis College of Science and Technology
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Safety and Security
- Department of Information Technology
- Forensic Science Institute
- Geospatial Science
- MS in Data And Information Management
Starting in Fall, 2018, we will restructure our calculus sequence from the current sequence of four three-credit courses to the new sequence of three four-credit courses to better align with other schools in Virginia, including the Virginia Community College System. Please contact your advisor or your major department for advice on how your program will apply credit for the new courses.
Students Who Start Prior to Fall 2018
The calculus sequence prior to Fall 2018 was
- MATH 151 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (3 credits)
- MATH 152 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II (3 credits)
- MATH 251 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III (3 credits)
- MATH 252 Calculus with Analytic Geometry IV (3 credits)
Spring 2018 is the last semester that MATH 151 will be offered. For students currently in this sequence, we will continue to offer its courses on the following schedule:
|Summer I 2018||MATH 152|
|Fall 2018||MATH 152, MATH 251, MATH 252|
|Spring 2019||MATH 251, MATH 252|
|Fall 2019||MATH 252|
Students who have credit for some of this sequence but not enough to satisfy their degree requirements, contact the Neil Sigmon, chair of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, for alternate strategies to satisfy the degree requirements.
Students Who Start After Fall 2018
The new calculus sequence starting in Fall 2018 is
- MATH 171 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (4 credits)
- MATH 172 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II (4 credits)
- MATH 271 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III (4 credits)
This sequence covers the same material in the same order as the current sequence, but its courses meet four hours per week instead of three. All three courses will be offered in Fall 2018. MATH 171 will be for all students starting the calculus sequence for the first time. Students who have started the current sequence will continue in the current sequence until it has been phased out.
MATH 171 and MATH 172 are approved for the Mathematical Sciences component of University Core B.
The prerequisites for MATH 171 are the same as for the current MATH 151.
We are also introducing an alternative path for students whose test scores do not satisfy the prerequesites for MATH 171 and who do not take the ALEKS exam. Instead of taking MATH 138 Precalculus and then taking MATH 171 Calculus I, we are piloting in 2018-19 the two semester sequence
- MATH 168 Calculus I with Integrated Precalculus I (3 credits)
- MATH 169 Calculus I with Integrated Precalculus II (3 credits)
This sequence is equivalent with MATH 171 as a prerequesite for MATH 172 and all degree requirements should be either MATH 171 or MATH 169. If you are a current student who is planning to take MATH 138 in Fall 2018 and MATH 171 in Spring 2019 and you wish to instead take the sequence MATH 168:169, please contact the Department of Mathematics and Statistics for more information.