Artis College of Science and Technology
- Davis College of Business and Economics
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Graduate Studies and Research
- Waldron College of Health and Human Services
- College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences
- Artis College of Science and Technology
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Other Offices and Departments
- Biology Department
- Pre-Health Advisory Committee
- GIS Center
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Museum of the Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Chemistry Department
- Radford University Planetarium
- Department of Physics
- Anthropological Sciences
- Selu Observatory
- Center for Information Security
- Forensic Science Institute
- Biomedical Science
- Geospatial Science
- School of Computing and Information Sciences
- MS in Data And Information Management
Mission: We provide students opportunities to engage in scientific and scholarly activities such as internships and study abroad programs. By collaborating with faculty, students collect and analyze scientific data in classroom, laboratory and field settings. Students develop the ability to critically evaluate scientific data by reading and discussing peer-reviewed scientific literature. These activities are designed to help students understand basic scientific principles, guide future career decisions and to prepare them to be informed citizens capable of understanding diverse issues involving human health, evolution and environment.
News and Events
The Biology Department is focused on developing your skillset as a practicing scientist, from asking a biological question to drawing conclusions from the experiments you’ve performed and the data you’ve collected. Check out what biology majors have recently been working on. Whether you’re interested in wildlife conservation or medical school, our programs will prepare you for your future endeavors.
Following a broad introduction to biology, chemistry, and math and statistics, you’ll complete your degree by selecting a set of elective courses aimed at achieving your career goals. Along the way, you’ll receive individualized, one-on-one advising from a biology faculty member. Choose from one of the following majors:
- Biology, General: a flexible major that allows you to select any of the biology offerings and from a range of non-biology electives including physics, geospatial sciences, and other environmental courses. You can focus on courses in pre-health biology, environmental biology, or pick your pathway. This major is offered at our main campus in Radford for all incoming students.
- Biomedical Science: a program of study aimed at preparing you for health-care professions or medical research. Coursework includes physics, calculus, and select health-related biology electives. This major is offered at our main campus in Radford for all incoming students.
- Medical Laboratory Science: a baccalaureate degree that will prepare you to perform a wide variety of clinical and diagnostic tests in a clinical laboratory setting. Your final year will include your major-specific courses and clinical rotations. This major is offered at our Radford University Carilion campus in Roanoke and at our main campus in Radford.
If you are interested in a health-care profession, you will also work with our Pre-Health Advisory Committee.